Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wintigbo

Hello, any Gansevoort gardeners?

wintigbo
18 years ago

Hi,

Im in Gansevoort, between Saratoga and Glens Falls. Interested in talking with other gardeners from my area.

Comments (17)

• User
    18 years ago

Hi Wintigbo,
    I'm in the Saratoga/schylerville area too. How are your gardens this year? I've noticed some things are a bit slow on the return such as azalias and hydrangias. Of course all this rain and cool temps is probably the culprit. Once the hot sun hits and we've been well watered all week, there may be a bit of action. I haven't done most of my planting yet but am anxious to get underway. Any new projects this year?

• wintigbo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi cremin, nice to hear from someone so close. Yes the rain and cool temps have put a damper on things. I am nursing two azalias back to health my sister in law had. My strawberries, hosta, tulips, german ivy, and phlox are doing great. I am working on training one of my westeria into a tree, it is still quite small but I think the effort will pay off. My clemantis seemed to take right off early, but now Im afraid the weather may tamper with that. I have some periwinkle that is starting to look much better. I am going to try to get pictures to link, but my yard/garden is nothing like some of these beautiful creations, Im still working on it. I have a small yard and we need the space for children to play. It is hard to find new places to plant stuff the kids wont touch. What do you have going or planning?
    Nice to hear from you, please feel free to email me.

• adkmountaingirl
    18 years ago

Hi, wintigbo and cremin:

Nice to meet gardeners who are practically my neighbors. I live in Wilton.

My gardens seem to be doing well, but I know what you mean about some of the plants being really slow to show their new greenery! I picked up a kind've scrawny variegated red stem dogwood shrub for $2 at the very, very end of the season. I managed to dig into the very hard clay to get it planted, but this spring when the 2 others right next to it were already having buds, the 3rd one looked dead. I was just about to pull it out of the ground, when my neighbor noticed a bit of green close to the ground. Sure enough, it survived, and (hopefully) will continue to bud and get bigger and stronger as the year goes on.

I also got 3 hibiscus, also at the very end of the season. I kept checking them, but while everything else around them was budding, they looked dead. Then after this recent wave of rain, then heat, I looked at them again last week and 2 of the 3 had buds. I checked them again today and they had very substantial growth. Very encouraging.

My 3-year old butterfly bush has shown no signs of growth, but the 2 small ones I got (again at the end of the season ~ do you see a trend here? ~ stuff is much cheaper then! LOL) survived the wiinter and both have new growth. Go figure.

I also lost my lavender, sage, and some other plants...I wonder if the frigid winter had something to do with that??? Oh, well...I guess I'll get some seeds and try again.

I love sitting out on my garden bench in the early mornings with my dog, eating my cereal, watching the garden grow, and the listening (and watching) the birds...now, that's the perfect way to start any day!

Yours in gardening,

adkmountaingirl
    Wilton, NY

• CandyD
    18 years ago

Hello,
    I live in Corinth. Our gardens are doing pretty well. Iris's are blooming, they look very pretty. But as ADKmountain girl, my hibiscus, are not looking good. My lavender for the first time, did not come back either. Everything else did pretty well. We put up a new house last fall, and have a large front lawn to put a garden in, but first the grass! Nice to see we have people in the area on here.

• BillyBing
    18 years ago

Hi I'm in Wilton, right by gavin park. I'm trying to learn about Hostas, thinking of making a few hosta gardens in my front yard. I have some hostas now on the side of my house, but I'm having some slugs or bugs problems. Rabbits are what I fear the most though if I do the front yard thing. I would hate to put all that time and money into it, to find the rabbits eating it all. I'm sure I can find something to deter them

• von1
    18 years ago

Well, I'm in corinth also. Have over 200 hostas and no one to yack at. Billy if you need help with photo bucket let me know. I conquered it finally and use it all the time now.
    One of my favorite pics from photobucket

• wintigbo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW Hello everyone.
    It is really nice to see so many gardeners around here. Von1 nice picture! I am going to try to submit so pics later, I am new to this forum stuff and a little unsure how to do that. I will figure it out.

Please excuse my spelling I get to excited and can't spell sometimes.

I have been really busy, gardening, of course. My Dad isn't feeling well and I have been tring to take care of his really big yard/gardens and my own. It is really catching up to me now. Everything is looking really good.
    He had some trouble with small tomato plants that seem to get some kind of fungus. This year we moved the tomatos to another garden and they are still alittle iffy after all the heavy rain and wind. We lost some (snap right off at the ground) They are all steaked up now and I hope will get stronger. Picked some zuccini two days ago, and today is pea picking day. My strawberries have kept me quite busy picking but they seem small this year. I have plenty of them just smaller than usual. My hostas are quite large, I have a problem with spiders. The plum tree looks great and has plenty of plums, foil pans must have worked for the birds. My clementis just started to bloom! I love that! The grass has finally filled in. I have a problem with standing water in the spring and every year it kills the grass. (note to self - install drainage, LOL)
    No rabbits, well the cat had a live baby. That was sad, I made him let it go. He was holding it by its ears and jogging all around the yard. My female cat brought me a live frog yesterday. What makes these animals think I want this stuff??? LOL

I'm not very good with roses, my three year old WAS looking good, had leaves and green - then died off. Planted a second and it just sits there. Go figure.

Morning glories are spreading all over the fence. Will look really good, I hope, that is if another tree doesn't fall and take out the fence. They aren't even my trees!

My brother gave me two dead looking azalaes, one picked right back up and the other I cut right down almost to the ground- I hope that helps.

Well, day off today so I am going to go try to "beat the sun". It is wonderful to hear from all of you.
    Happy gardening.

• CandyD
    18 years ago

Hello again everyone, Von1, loves hosta! I have some, but my love is Iris's and my newest love is Daylilies. My husband is the gardener of the house, I work along side of him, and take pictures of as much as I can. Here are a few samples of this years blooms.
    {{gwi:1326186}}

{{gwi:1326187}}
    Nice to see so many people in the area.

• von1
    18 years ago

I like daylilies and iris also. Well just about any perennial really. I can plant in shade mostly so that is what got me started with hosta. Now I'm just about out of room for anything more. I was considering tearing out some bee balm tonight, but rejected that idea in favor of making one of my beds a little longer.Hopefully DH goes somewhere tomorrow so I have time to do it before he vetoes the idea.

• wintigbo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am trying to add photos. Alittle unsure how.

• CandyD
    18 years ago

Hi Wintigbo,
    I use photobucket.com. It is pretty easy to use. Check it out and see how you like it. If you have any problems, just ask away. I have to work a double today, so I wont be able to answer you until tomorrow, but I am sure there are alot of people who will be able to help.
    Good Luck

• User
    18 years ago

Hi Friends,
    I've been doing baseball and basketball with kids and haven't really been able to check back in. Glad to see so many GardenWeb friends right here in our area!

I've been working in the gardens a good bit. Just discovered these little green worms on my roses today. I'm headed to Hewitt's tomorrow to see if they can tell me what to do and what the heck they are! Ugh. They haven't done too much damage yet but, as I speak I know they are munching.

It was good to get a good watering with all that rain though I did lose lots of blossoms on the plants. How did everyone fare? Any damage? The humidity does things too. I also saw a Japanese Beetle or two around. They keep us busy. If it's not the kids schedules it's the bug's schedules! LOL. :)

Well, tomorrow is Friday. TGIF. I hope you all enjoy it.

• wantoretire_did
    18 years ago

Hi - I'm in southern Greenfield, just west of Saratoga Springs. Are any of you interested in getting together once in awhile, completely informally, to compare notes, share ideas, etc.?

adkmountaingirl, are you there?

Carol

• kay13
    18 years ago

Hi there!

I am in the Wilton/Saratoga area. I am a new gardener as I just purchased my first home about 3 years ago. I am starting to get my spring planting fever with all these warm days we have been having. This year I hope to expand my vegetable garden and plant a new small perennial garden off my deck. I try to plant plants that can take care of themselves with little maintenance. Currently I don't use any pesticides in my garden but I am not an organic gardener either. I am somewhere in the middle I guess.

• brookster
    17 years ago

I live in Hudson Falls. I just moved here and would love any perennials that are available.
    Thansk
    B

• toplady5490
    17 years ago

Hi I live on Saratoga Lake. I am into anything called a flower.LOL I have expanded to tropicals like Brugamansia and inside orchids. Any one driving by 742 Rt 9P stop by and look at my gardens. Just introduce yourself as a garden web member. Would love to chat.

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Billy - I was in your neighborhood twice this week on my way to WM, etc. It's longer by a couple miles but a pretty drive. Our main route was closed because of the beaver dam damage (polo ground area) which is now being repaired.

There's a very nice lady on Brookside Drive who sells perennials pretty regularly (there is a sign on the pole at the entrance to the road). She is delightful and her plants are healthy. Their yard is drop dead gorgeous.