Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amaqan

recap of where we are upstate

amaqan
17 years ago

Hi All,

I think it has been awhile since we posted where we are from.

Hopefully there are new members we can learn or share from. I am new as I never posted much as Upstate never quite got up here other then a post or so from really upstate.

Would like to see an exchange in the Plattsburgh area. Are there any??? I know there is the farmers market...do exchanges happen there?

I am in Ellenburg...very upstate. Would love to see some trades in this area.

My hobby in the gardens are ponds...lots of ponds. Being upstate we are limited here as well for time as the seasons are short.

What grows good for you Upstate? Any offers of trades?

Thanks.

Amaqan

Comments (62)

• von1
    17 years ago

Corinth, NY its by Glens Falls or the more well known Saratoga Springs.
    Von

• misskimmie
    17 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm in New York Mills - a village near Utica. I also have a camp and garden on Hinkley Lake. I have a large veggie garden. A pond with waterfalls.Strawberries, Raspberries and Gooseberries. My current project is expanding the woodland wildflower garden. I tried wintersowing this year. IT WORKS! -

• mary1nys
    17 years ago

frugalflowers...Shirley Ryan was my aunt! She was married to my father's brother Dennis who all hailed from Alder Brook! I know the hill in Sugarbush! Small world!

I am in central New York State in the smallest city of Sherrill, NY. Newbie gardener and learning all that I can! Just planted a bareroot weeping redbud, a New Dawn rose, and an Endless summer Hydrangea...and I saw it snow today!

• theraglady47
    17 years ago

I don't post much on this forum, but try to get here from time to time. I am in Watertown, NY, and crazy enough to grow tropicals. We grow a "LOT" of hostas and daylilies too. Not thrilled about the local weather for tonight, they are saying snow. Had to crank up the heat in the greenhouse.

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Greenfield/Saratoga Springs here. Finally seeing some progress on my blank canvas of 2 summers ago :-)

It's thrilling to see everything come back to life, except 2 butterfly bushes which I understand are late to green up.

Carol

• frugalflowers
    17 years ago

Hi Mary,

Your Aunt had the most wonderful plants and trees. When I would mention "Sugarbush" to anyone who didn't live in the area, I would always get the same reply...."Oh, you live near the lady with the great gardens." Or.... "Did you know that she has plants and trees that aren't supposed to grow in this area?" Anyone who traveled Route 3 knew of Shirley's gardens.

Yes, Shirley is missed by many, but her legend lives on!

Jackie

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I live in Tonawanda pretty close to the Niagara River. It helps to keep it a bit more moderate than the rest of the area. I like to grow all kinds of things from roses to tomatoes. I tried wintersowing for the first time this year so now I have another gardening obsession.
    Remy

• edee
    17 years ago

Hi,I'm from West Seneca, NY. I saw a couple of neighbors here on this site. This is the first time I've been on this forum. I very excited that you have a WNY plant swap. Can someone tell me when it is? I have alot to trade! I love perennials, annuals, shrubs. And yes, I have done winter sowing too with some success.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Hi edee and welcome,

The WNY plant swap is June 4th
    There are a couple of threads on the EXCHANGE page regarding the the western NY plant swap. check out the thread which is entitled: WANTED: 3rd annual wny plant swap - update important!!! If you have any questions email GardenFrog she will have all the details.

Penny

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Hi edee-if you are planning on the swap, you could follow me out there (or ride along), I pick up Penny (well kinda, we usually are in two different places lol) and then head out to Tara's (and get lost along the way), I think Tracy (faltered) is also planning on riding along.

• rouan
    17 years ago

Hi all,

I don't post often, but do lurk now and then. I'm in Deerfield, just north of Utica. (Hi, Misskimmee and Mary1, I'm in your neck of the woods). We moved here 3 years ago and I've been slowly reclaiming the overgrown gardens that were here as well as starting new ones in the front of the house. I'm trying to grow plants to encourage butterflies and hummingbirds, but have a way to go.

• satire
    17 years ago

I live in the country near the village of Boonville, although I was born in Waverly in the Southern Tier and grew up in the far North Country college town of Canton.

Here we do a little of everything, not necessarily well, and we focus on veggies....

=gregg=

• herbalbetty
    17 years ago

We live in Huntersland, which is on the Schoharie/Albany county line. Originally from Philly, NY - up near Watertown. In the mid 80s, DH was stationed at Griffiss AFB in Rome. I grow herbs, flowers and edibles.

• booberry85
    17 years ago

Hi All! I'm in Skaneateles about 30 minutes SW of Syracuse. I grew up in Utica (Marcy to be exact). My Mom is still in Utica. I grow mainly veggies with some zinnias, marigolds, and nasturtuims thrown in.

I'm trying to get black-eyed Susans, cone flowers and lilies of the valley to take hold of my front flower bed. I'm hoping they'll be more invasive than the weeds.

:)

• jodeefive
    17 years ago

Hi everyone, im on the border of west seneca south buffalo, with almost an acre of land in back. I am just working on my front right now, trying to buy more perennials. Would love to garden the back more, but am gradually doing it. Nice to meet you all.

Jo

• CandyD
    17 years ago

I am also from Corinth. I was very surprised to see that someone else is from here, this is a first for me.

• jack24
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm here in Getzville. It's a rural area gone suburb northeast of Buffalo near UB north. I love my hostas.

• mountainsong
    17 years ago

I love this thread, and hope lots more keep adding to it! Booberry, we are in Jordan (a little west of Syracuse, for the rest of you), so are pretty close; just bought a house here when we moved back to "the heart of NY," after three years in Georgia. One of the previous owners was a gardener, so I am having fun discovering the perennials here, as well as re-designing the vegetable/herb gardens. I am creating a garden-in-the-round. I want to create a larger volume of organic food for us to eat, as well as lots of cottage-style flowers, for the butterflies, for the birds, and so I can feel like a rich lady, with beautiful bouquets of fresh flowers all over my home (some day). Well, we did eat dinner tonight with a vase filled with bluets, bleeding heart (pink and white; the latter is growing on me), and some mustard (some call it a weed, but I love the yellow accents in among pinks and purples).

Carolyn, aka Mountainsong

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Hi everyone....we're in Baldwinsville, not too far from Carolyn (Jordan). In fact, Carolyn, my husband and I sometimes take motorcycle trips out your way because it's not very far, but beautiful! We grow about 75 rose varieties, lots of lilies, spuria and siberian iris and perennials/annuals, cottage garden style. :0) Phyl

• erinluchsinger
    17 years ago

Hello. Glad I found this forum. I'm in Tully which is approx. 20 minutes south of Syracuse. Spend a lot of time in Skaneateles as my in-laws live on the lake. Couldn't ask for a better place to spend the summer!
    I'm new to perenial gardening. I grew up w/ a mother that had a black thumb, but my grandmother is an avid flower gardener.
    I personally grow natural beef cows (aka: organic but not certified). Had organic hens for eggs but gave them up when we bought the house we live in now (in August of '05) b/c of the gardens. I am planning a few more perenial beds and am completely obsessed!
    I am a stay at home mom who does interior painting on the side as well as running my family's Christmas tree business.
    Erin

• kcook969
    17 years ago

@ satire:

I was born and raised in Sayre...

• nyzone5a_gardener
    17 years ago

Hi, I live in Brooktondale, which is about 8 miles SE of Ithaca NY. We live on 16 acres, about 10 of that is wooded. I have a little over 900 square feet of vegetable gardening area, but also grow flowers for drying in various locations around the property. I am an organic gardener and use the square foot method of growing veggies. This year I'll be selling produce and dried flower crafts at the Farmer's Market in Brooktondale. This is the first year for this FM and I'm really looking forward to it.

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

Hi all. I'm in Penfield, just east of Rochester. When we bought our house in '75, we were across from a cornfield. Past that, down the road were orchards and cow pastures and we could hear a rooster crow in the morning. Then sewers came through and the cornfield sprouted huge houses and we were in the burbs. I haven't had a real garden in quite a while, but taking steps again this year to tame whats already here and hopefully put in some nice perennials. I've been reading all I can about plants for hummers, and hoping to put some in. Actually houseplants are my favorites--easy to move around. Sandy

• satire
    17 years ago

kcook969,

Besides being born in Waverly, I spent my first ten years in Athens, and my father was born and raised in Sayre and my mother in Athens! "The Valley"!

My sister-in-law was a Presbyterian minister in Waterloo in the 1980's.

When did you leave Sayre? Whereabouts in Sayre did you live? I still have oodles of relatives in the Valley.......

=gregg=

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

Hi everyone...
    I have been reading this board for a long time but never really posted. I am in Lancaster, NY near Buffalo. We just moved to this home about a year ago. I am very new to gardening and I am currently struggeling with keeping up with the beds the previous owner created and to understand what type of garden I would like. Problem is that I can't peg myself into just one category and my learning curve has been quiet bumpy since I tend to put the wrong plants into the wrong places and it just looks messy.

• toplady5490
    17 years ago

Hi I am on Saratoga Lake in Saratoga Springs. I have gardens of both perrenials and annuals. I also have many Brugmansias in pink white and yellow. I just started with orchids the cattelya type. I had to move indoors as I have run out os space outdoors. LOL I have never seen a flower I did not like.

• kcook969
    17 years ago

Lets see...

I lived bout exact midddle between the elementary and high schools. North Hopkins street.

Moved up here almost a year ago. Came up here to continue my education.

My Mother is from Waterloo, Father from Towanda... Both work at Guthrie/RPH.

-Kevin

• laurpheus
    17 years ago

I'm new to the forum, posting from Ballston Spa in Saratoga County. Year one of a blank slate garden.

• riverinewny
    17 years ago

New to the forum, posting from the city of Buffalo, a few blocks from Elmwood Avenue. Interested in herbalism as well as gardening. Hi, all!

• dagnabit
    17 years ago

Been reading the Forum for awhile....figured it's time to get active here. I'm in LaFargeville, north of Watertown; I run a small garden center/feed store. I'll have to walk a fine line between endorsing a product and advertising, which is verboten!
    I've been enjoying our new water garden -- the lillies are blooming!

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

Hi, we're in Hannibal, about 12 miles west of Oswego. I've had the pleasure of meeting Phyl in Baldwinsville thru GardenWeb. Lovely Lady, with lovely gardens. Hi Phyl! Dagnabit--- I work in Jefferson and St. Lawrence counties, go thru Lafargeville about three days per week. Lovely country up there, Polly

• qbirdy
    17 years ago

I'm in Pulaski, halfway between Watertown and Syracuse. I grow a lot of iris(named and noids), hostas, angel trumpets, tons of house plants, and a lot of perennials.

Pollyny, where in Hannibal are you? I know there are a few others from Oswego county on here, too. I'm on Rte 2 in Pulaski.

• samrn
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    Originally from Weedsport (just west or Syracuse) but currently living in Rochester. We, too, have spent a lot of time in beautiful Skaneatalas
    Anyways, I am very new to gardening but truly am getting caught up in it and thouroughly enjoying it. This site has been extremely helpful and it's fun to read everyone's comments!

• another_hosta_please
    17 years ago

Hello All:

I'm "new" to the area. Born in Amsterdam, NY. Grew up in the Boston area and now back to the Mohawk Valley/Adirondack Foothills to be closer to family.

Just moved into our new very old house in January and looking forward to filling the blank slate that is our long narrow 1/4 acre city lot. Trying to be a good gardener and wait an entire year to see the change of sun positions, microclimates, etc., but I've given myself a small bed to help ease the gardenaholic withdrawal in the meantime.

I'm a good 2 zones colder than where my last garden was, so will probably try to push the envelope with what I can grow...lol!

Looking forward to "getting to know you" folks online.

Another Hosta Please

• unmoderated
    17 years ago

Oneonta.
    New to GW, new to gardening.

• dirthappy
    17 years ago

My word, it's surprising how close we all are to each other. No more than an hour or maybe 2 away. A few, just across town. Nice to meet you all.

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

qbirdy, I'm on Co Rt 21, just south of Hannibal. I've been on County Rte 2 in Pulaski many times for my former and present jobs. How many iris do you grow? Polly

• maryds
    17 years ago

My mailing address is Bath, but we are closer to Hammondsport, which is at the foot of Keuka Lake. We are maybe 200 to 300 feet above lake level.

We have been here since 1988; though we came from "out West", I was born in the Finger Lakes and was delighted to get back here.

I do flower gardening -- a perennial border which we started when we moved here and now what we call "the border bed" which runs along the edge of our woods. The latter is very much a work in progress, though we concentrated on bulbs for it last year, and a lot of perennial starts this year. Right now it needs weeding! These two areas are at the back of the yard. My husband's thing is massed plantings of lilies, daylilies, dahlias, mums, etc. in a different area out front.

It keeps us out of trouble in the summer!

On other lists I refer to myself as "Mary in Hammondsport"

• fearlessem
    17 years ago

Hi all --

This is my first summer here in Newfield, just 5 miles outside Ithaca. Any other Ithaca area gardeners?

I moved from a city lot in RI to 5+ acres here, so I am just trying to keep myself from going crazy with garden projects. Started a mini-orchard this year, created 5 new perenial beds, and a 55X65 foot veggie garden! Eeeek!

Emily

• cairns
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm the new kid on the block. Born and raised in the City of Tonawanda, then lived in Riverside for 18 years and now reside in the Village of Kenmore. Been gardening as long as I can remember. I am finally learning that perennials are my friend. Love the cottage garden look but not all the time. So little time, so many flowers...

• rashanii
    17 years ago

Hello, Im looking for Seneca (Painted Lady) or Bear Paw bean.I went into search and it came up with your name.
    I have the Native Heart Seed Exchange...a free seed exchange and supplier to all His People...For all native tribes..I have an Elder ..medicine woman..of the Black foot tribe .She has been searching for this bean .She calls Bear Paw. If you know of where to find this bean.Or if you have this I would like to offer you any of the seeds or if your Native American blood..Any of the ceremonial plants..ie White sage,Black Sage, Sweet grass etc...Thank you Rashanii

• tericuff
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone, I am really new to GW, just today. I live in Altona, up near the Canadian Border. Just retired in April and have a lot a time to spend on my gardens. I wish we had a place to have a swap around here it would be great. Most of my perennials came from my niece in Syracuse, when I started gardening I went to her house and got some cuttings from her. Now my plants are so hugh I have to transplant and have given a lot of them away. Since I retired I put in a new raised bed of shrubs and I love it, already have plans for a another new shaded garden next year. I am getting rid of my last annual garden, planted some perennials in it this week and added some bulbs, now I will only add some annuals for color. Saves a lot of money. If anyone in area would like to swap just contact me.
    Terry

• dunnn57
    17 years ago

Hi all! It's so nice to see ppl from upstate chime in here.I'm new to GW& been living upstate awhile.I'm in the northern catskills in southern Schoharie co.I'm not a big botanist(I planted hostas here,and the deer found them yummy!),but I love veggie gardening.I grow primarily tomatoes. My place is bare for landscape,so I'm gonna be bothering a lot of you for some good advice.Herbalbetty,it sounds like you are right up the road from me.

• Chazy
    17 years ago

Welcome to GW tericuff. You are from the metropolis of Altona? We are almost neighbors. I live in the metropolis of Chazy. Sorry I don't have much to offer in the swap department.I do most of my gardening indoors these days,but do put my geraniums and a couple of fuschias outside for summer color. I also put my 2 potted fig trees out on the front porch for the summer,and bring them back into an unheated breezeway for the winter. So far the older one has produced figs for 3 years.Yummy!

• sandaidh
    17 years ago

I just stumbled across this forum, having just posted something in the tomato forum because I've been having problems with my tomatoes this year. Anyway, I'm in Salamanca, having moved here three years ago from the north San Francisco Bay Area of California. I have (well, had, it's pretty much put to bed now) a small vegetable garden and have been putting in flowers and such around the place. I tend to like an eclectic blend of native plants and regular garden variety. I brought a few plants with me from CA, and for two of them it'll be their second winter outside. I have the same plants in pots, which I bring into my unheated, but enclosed, front porch for the winter.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Glad to see so many new members from the Buffalo/Niagara frontier....Kenmore, Lancaster, Tonawandas, Salamanca, etc. Many of us in this area get together for a plant exchange the first part of June so stay tuned and in touch with the forum.

Penny

• heebiejeebie
    17 years ago

I'm in Buffalo - Blackrock area

• penny1947
    17 years ago

welcome heebiejee4bie!

penny

• mrpw
    17 years ago

Hi everyone! I live in Clifton Park, Saratoga Country, and am relatively new to the area. Moved here from NJ last year.

• diane_nny
    17 years ago

Hi, have not posted in a while and found this thread to be very interesting. I am in De Kalb Junction. terricuff, I always thought the Altona area was so fascinating! The FlatRock, the Miner Institute, the stories about how people used to come and pick blueberries. I used to wonder how the Flat Rock got to be flat, and barren, but apparently it is one of those deals like the Channelled Scablands in Washington State, only on a smaller scale, where the ice dam holding back a glacial lake cut loose and released a terrific flow of water, resulting in all the soil being scoured away down to bedrock.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus