Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elgliders

Storm Damage?

elgliders
18 years ago

Did anyone get any damage from the storms yesterday?

I ran out around noon to take some of my 40 or 50 loose pots of plants into the garage or greenhouse for shelter. The Weather Channel was calling for strong winds and hail. As the winds and rain started,I picked up a window box full of flowers,and turned to my right to see two 8 foot sections of stockade fence airborne and coming at me. Luckily,they caught their bottoms on the top of one of my raised beds and flipped down before they got to me or my greenhouse windows.

Needless to say it scared the hell out of me. The impact whooped some tomato plants and pepper plants.

The pond and arbor were spared,but the impact also wiped out one of my prized lupines that was in full bloom with 15 or 20 tall red spikes and sheared the top off a potted palm that I've been babying for 2 or 3 years.

Oh well,the fence is fixed,and all is right again. Just a reminder that Mother Nature can be a cruel old gal when she wants to.

Comments (7)

• herbalbetty
    18 years ago

A stand of my lupines also got knocked over by the winds, as did my comfrey, which was in prime condition. A trellis took off (obviously, it is not sunk into the ground as well as it should be) and various small limbs came down. Not as bad as it could have been!

• Aurore
    18 years ago

We had some pretty severe damage around here. Just some downed branches in my yard. The garden came through okay. My neighbor had the top of a tree fall and smash his car. A couple of houses down the street another neighbor has a huge tree limb blocking the entrance to their porch which is filled with its leaves and branches. And the city had to take down the top of another tree across the way which didn't fall but split down the middle and was a danger because it could come down. I wonder how much of the damage is due to the tree trimmers who the city hired a few years ago. They pruned up the trees at very weird angles.
    Our electricity was out for six hours.

• faltered
    18 years ago

Wow, did we get some serious storms roll through here last night. Thunder and lightning like you wouldn't believe. Heavy heavy downpours. The news said some areas got 5 inches of rain last night. Lots of power outages and such.

I have yet to survey the garden for damages.

How did you all fare last night?

• Turtle_Haven_Farm
    18 years ago

I was surprised, we didn't seem to have any damage except for a bunch of leaves/twigs all over the place from the neighbor's garbage poplar trees. Most of my plants are still too small to get hurt much, but boy did we need that rain!!!! The power was on and off on and off so much last night I got disgusted and went to bed. Had to fish out the old "windup" alarm clock, was afraid to trust the electric one to get me out of bed in the AM! - Ellen

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

Just read that things were really bad last night around Ticonderoga & Port Henry (Essex County). "Sue_in_NYC", how did you fare? and How is your garden coming? How are you adjusting to Ticonderoga?
    Hope all is well.

Nothing last night in Albany, but more storms are expected today.

HOT.. HUMID and I feel.. USELESS and cranky!

Anne-Marie

• laurelin
    18 years ago

We lost a chunk of our crab apple, but the branch hung up in the tree and didn't fall on anything. I extracted it yesterday and disposed of it. My lopsided old tree is even more cockeyed now. Other people around the corner lost large tree limbs and had damage to their cars and houses. The rain wasn't prolonged (DARN!!), but every little bit helps. The wind was unnerving - and when it hit the sides of our house, in bent my 8' tall variegated dogwood to the ground with the downdraft. I'm going to have to put a ring in the wall and tie it up - I can hardly walk past it through my gate now. I'm counting my blessings - it could have been MUCH worse.

Laurelin

• adkmountaingirl
    18 years ago

I couldn't believe the power or ferociousness of that wind!!! OMG!! Dog curled up on me...she hates storms, as do I... I guess we comforted each other??

I'm amazed that I didn't lose my small 8' crabapple tree...the wind had it bent completely over in half. Yet, when the storm passed, it "bounced back" (LOL) and now seems completely fine...PHEW... :) I was so relieved.

Other than having to pickup and bundle all of the small and mid-size branches all over my yard, in both the back and front of my house, there was no other damage. I count myself as very lucky when I hear some of the other stories from people who got hit hard. I guess we all should??

adkmountaingirl
    Wilton, NY

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz