Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanpeg

Anyone else growing the 8 foot tall Lily Trees/Bushes?

Oceanpeg
9 years ago

Planted some of the 8 foot tal lBreck's Lily Trees a few years ago, and, they are just breadth taking when in full bloom. I'm container growing mine and they are in a 3 foot wide by about a 20 foot long area between the house and my sidewalk in a senior complex so I use the tall tomato cages to support them when they are full of flowers. Here is a photo from last year when they just stated blooming. Each year, they seem to grow taller and taller and more blooms per plant. I leave the tomato cages in the containers all year long and can decorate them in the winter months with holiday decorations... I like container gardening because of a bad back and being over 70 years old and living in a senior citizens complex. I just use Miracle Grow plant food on them every once in a while, when I think of it. They really don't need much care at all. Have lower growing Lilies in a row of 3 more containers in front of the Lily Trees. The deer don't seem to bother them, especially since I have the Dial soap in the colorful striped socks hanging off of the tomato cages...

Comments (4)

• Oceanpeg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of some of their blooms also from last year....

• Oceanpeg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another variety of them from July, 2012. This one, I believe is called "Garden Pleasure," with one one above called "Lavon" and the one below "Ovation." I don't know the botanical name for the Lily Trees nor the names of each of their 10 varieties in the two collections of them, the Spotlight and the Classic... Of course, I saved the literature that came with the bulbs over the years, for identifying them, when they poped up, and to show my neighbors and the like when I'm asked questions about them. I had started off with just about 10 bulbs a few years back, if I recall right. I thought that they were going to be "tree like" rather than "bush like" at the time. No matter how they grow, these have gorgeous blooms, as you can see, are just below my roof gutters somewhat... I'm really looking forwards to this years blooms.

This post was edited by Oceanpeg on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 9:03

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! My daughter loves lilies. I may have to get her some of these!

Linda

• Oceanpeg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another variety of them also from 2012. I have them in solid colors and multi colors in the containers. My neighbors look for their showy and breadth taking blooms every year since I started growing them... Many never heard of Lily Trees beforehand. I have to cut the stalks back at the end of the growing season, just like the low growing lilies, and, they pop up through the soil the same way,around May and start blooming late June and early July in Ocean County, "Down by the Jersey Shore." If you haven't heard of the Lily Trees, take this thead as an educational one on them. Will post more photos of them as this growing season for them goes onwards this year, 2014. Would love to see other growers photos of them too, and, how and where you plant them and if you use tomato cages on them or not. And if and how you fertilize them, etc. I love these Lily Trees better than the other Lilies I'm growing because I think that they are the showiest of all.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!