Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggie_lover

Garden under water

veggie_lover
18 years ago

Got up this morning and went out and checked my garden and half of it is under water, a big standing puddle of water has taken my carrots, onions and pea plants.

I have not had my soil tested, but I did till up and add new soil and manure to the space. Soil was very hard and it felt like it had sand and when I balled it up it did stay together before I added the new soil , after it seemed to be a lot better untill this morning with all the rain we are now getting.

I know I have lost what was there but my cucumbers are very close to the same spot and would like any suggestions on how I might say them.

Thanks in advance

Comment (1)

• matt_v
    18 years ago

Greetings! If you raise your beds, you can improve your drainage. I don't know if your budget or if time constraints will allow it, but making 30" tall mounds that are 3 feet wide solve a lot of drainage issues. Also, you provide depth for rootgrowth and actually have more space to grow veggies using this method. Look at the Vegetable Gardener's Bible by Ed Smith for all your related questions. If not this year, perhaps for next time?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor