Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_frog

Need ideas!!

garden_frog
17 years ago

OK, I need some plant recommendations. I am re-doing an area by my breezeway door. It's a small area that lines both sides of the walk way to the door. Probably about 3 ft x 5 ft. It's mostly shade although it does get a tiny bit of morning sun.

What I need is suggestions of plants that will do well in the shade and yet will have flowers or color or some interest in the summer/late summer/ and possibly fall. I've got some early summer/spring bloomers there now, but this time of year, the area just looks ratty. The plants also need to have compact foliage and be fairly small although tall flower spikes would be ok as long as the foliage is compact. Plants also need to be well behaved there as it's a very small space. The only thing I can think of is hardy geranium, but I am sure there must be other options. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tara

Comments (9)

• jeanie
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I have a similar area by my front door. I did hellebore niger, the really cool varigated gingers(asurums), and fall blooming anenomes all have really nice foliage. I might add some begonias or impatiens for long seaon of color. A few lacy ferns might be good contrast. A mainly white hosta, even some of the small hosta might add color. Lady's mantle has a small form with silver edged leaves.
    In short go for things that have great foliage even when not in bloom. I also planted some treasured snow drops and other treasure small bulbs here.
    Good Luck Jeanie

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Tara how about some Malva Zebrina, compact, nice long blooming flowers most of the season and great reseeders.

• herbalbetty
    17 years ago

How about sweet woodruff? It loves shady areas, makes a beautiful ground cover (about 5-6 inches high) and blooms with lovely little white flowers in late May and looks great all spring, summer and fall.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Toad lilies would bloom in the fall, and they're not huge (about 18"-24" tall). They don't mind dry shade. Violets might be another choice around the foot of taller plants.

Laurel

• hammerl
    17 years ago

I, too, recommend toad lilies for late season bloom and color. They're not super splashy by any stretch, but they're a lot prettier than their name sounds, and are good for fall bloom. Astilbe also do well in shade and can provide a splash of mid-summer color. Ferns will also do well. Japanese painted fern would add a bit of burgundy color to the mix. Variegated solomon's seal looks nice even when not in bloom. Or how about a dwarf tradescantia (like 'bilberry ice')? Mine are just starting to open now. Miniature hostas would certainly mix in, too. I have some adorable little ones that are maybe 3" across, certainly not going to overwhelm anything! (I also have a variegated one called Pandora's Box that's maybe 2.5" wide and as cute as can be for small places, topping out around 6" high with bloom) Lamium would do if you wanted more of a ground cover. I fill that in where my forget-me-nots grow, so it looks pretty when they're done.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    17 years ago

Which toadlilies are you finding reliably hardy? I tried several of them a couple of years ago, and Tojen was the only one that survived.

Other possibilities are various colored ferns. Japanese painted fern, of course, and Ghost and Lady in Red lady ferns have all done well for me.

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

How about astilbe? Or caladiums (need to be dug up.) Coleus is an annual with colorful foliage.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I got the 'Miyazaki Hybrid' toad lilies from Bluestone a couple years ago, and they've been perfectly hardy for me. They're clumping up slowly and they bloomed nicely last fall - I suspect they'd like a little more moisture than is available under my hemlock trees, but they don't seem to mind Upstate NY winters.

Laurel

• magicman2u
    17 years ago

Here are a few I found for you!

Stylophorum diphyllum
    Common Name: Celandine Poppy
    A wonderful early spring bloomer for the shade garden. Showy yellow flowers are held above lobed, blue-green leaves.

Culture
    Grows best in rich, moist soil or a woodland. Plants will go dormant in early summer if soil dries out. Will naturalize by self-seeding if growing conditions are favorable.
    Use
    Naturalize in shaded gardens or woodlands.

Height
    16 Inches

Spread
    18 Inches

Color
    Deep Yellow

USDA Hardiness Zone
    4-8
    {{gwi:1326494}}

Common Name: Wild geranium
    Zone: 3 to 8
    Plant Type: Herbaceous perennial
    Family: Geraniaceae
    Missouri Native: Yes
    Native Range: Northeastern United States
    Height: 1.5 to 2 feet
    Spread: 1 to 1.5 feet
    Bloom Time: April - May Bloom Data
    Bloom Color: Pale pink, deep pink, lilac
    Sun: Full sun to part shade
    Water: Medium moisture
    Maintenance: Medium

Wake-robin (Purple Trillium, Birthroot)
    Trillium erectum
    Wake-robin usually has dark reddish-purple flowers, but occasionally they are white. More rarely, the flowers are pinkish or greenish. White-flowered wake-robin can be confused with large-flowered trillium, but wake-robin has a purple ovary (in the middle of the flower), and its petals are narrower and do not overlap at the base.

Â Family: Lily (Liliaceae)
    Â Habitat: rich woods
    Â Height: 7-16 inches
    Â Flower size: 2-3 inches wide
    Â Flower color: dark reddish-purple, occasionally pink, white, or greenish
    Â Flowering time: April to June
    Â Origin: native