Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petunia exserta info

Posted by penny1947 z6 WNY (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 9:47

Just wanted to mention to those who got the Petunia exserta (Brazilian Petunia) plants at our western NY Plant Swap at Tara's. These Petunias are threatened in Brazil because of crossing with hybrid petunias and there are only a few isolated stands of them still in the wild. Petunia exserta will cross with hybrids and you will lose the pure species. If you want to collect seed of your plants for future gardens make sure you don't have any of the garden variety petunias growing in the area.

Several of my plants are blooming very well now and have at least 11 or 12 blooms per plant. I did plant two of mine in two 9 1/2 inch pots the others are in ground. They will bloom sooner in full sun but do well in half day sun also. Average soil and water needs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petunia exserta info

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 22:08

Thanks Penny! I got a bloom already. I do have a lot of other petunias though so that is disappointing that it crosses.

o
RE: Petunia exserta info

I made sure I didn't have any other petunias this year so I could keep my seeds pure. One of the guys on our hummer forum posted a pic last night of his plants. They are so full they have created a sea of blooms....You can't tell where one plant starts and another ends.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here