Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maduro_gw

We need pool privacy...really bad!!

maduro
16 years ago

Hello all. We bought a summer home in Sullivan County last year & had an inground pool installed. Unfortunately the pool is situated such that its on the side of the house & we only have a 4' aluminum fence surrounding it providing no privacy. We are open for any & everyone to see. What we are looking for are shrubs/plants that will grow no more than the height of the fence & spread out nicely. Some color would be nice but not a requirement. My biggest concern is root invasion to the pool. There is about 3'-4' between the outside of the fence & the actual "tub" of the pool. We would plant on the outside of the fence. I had some evergreens planted but my fear of the roots invading the pool led me to dig them up. Any help or suggestions from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

The area in question is in full sun & will have sprinklers nearby. Hope I covered it all.

Thanks everyone & I look forward to your responses!

Comments (6)

• hammerl
    16 years ago

How about spirea bush? They get up to no more than 4' in height, can be dense enough to screen, and even get some flowers. They like full sun, too. They're hardy for zones 4-8 or so, and are pretty much maintenance-free. I'd opt for summer blooming varieties in the sun. Golden Princess is a pretty chartreuse with mid-summer pinky-purple blooms that gets to just about the height you're looking for, or at least mine are maybe about 3.5'. I've got a pair by my patio that look really nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Descriptions of some varieties of Spirea

• Carol_from_ny
    16 years ago

Trumpet vine would work nicely too. It climbs quickly, brings in humming birds, has lovely orange/red flowers or yellow depending on the color you choose to plant.

• maduro
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thx everyone for your help. Will look into your suggestions.

• husky004_
    16 years ago

Stay away from the trumpet vine very very very invasive and the roots go down to China.

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Unless you use trees, you will not have to worry about roots from shrubs or flowers.

• lilylouise
    16 years ago

I agree with gotta. The first shrub to come to mind was spirea. Maybe holly, rhodys, golden vicary, barberry would work too.