Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering perennials for shade?

Posted by erinluchsinger z4 - Upstate NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 10:32

I have a spot that is on the north side of my house. Gets very little sun. I'd like some color to add to that area. Currently has some shrubs and hostas. I'd like some flowering plants. Any suggestions?
Most of my other gardens are in FULL sun, so I'm at a loss as to what to plant in this small area.
Erin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering perennials for shade?

I have the same spot. :o)

Mine is in transition because some plants got too large and I wanted a change. I have various hostas, bleeding hearts, primrose (NOT evening primrose!), centaurea montana, heuchera, trollius, columbine, coreopsis lanceolata, scarlet monarda, etc... I discovered a really nice astilbe a couple years ago, and have since moved in lots of them in different colors. There are many more possibilities!

o

• Posted by hammerl z5-6 Amherst NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 5, 06 at 10:18

Much of my backyard is shade, and some of it is dry shade (which is, I think, the hardest area to garden in). I use the following in my shade beds:
spring: pulmonaria, columbine, bleeding heart, trillium, siberian bugloss, forget-me-not, lily-of-the-valley, primrose, japanese primrose, solomon's seal, marsh marigold, rhododendron, azalea, sweet woodruff
summer: hosta, goatsbeard, astilbe, hydrangea, foamflower, coral bell, heucherella, lamium
fall: monkshood, toad lilies

I also mix in different plants that give texture like ferns. My japanese painted fern is a pretty mahogany color, and looks great with the other plants. The ostrich fern and christmas fern are just green, but they do fill in and provide texture.

o

In addition to what has already been mentioned, I have daylilies, sweet woodruff, gooseneck loosestrife, and spiderwort in my deep shade areas.

Tracy

o

Most of the above, plus aconitum, viola labradorica, tradescantia, narcissus, thalictrum, lobelia cardinalis, centranthus, alchemilla. Others that I can't think of without a trip through the gardens.

o

also astrantia, epimedium, doronicum, kerria (shrub) and PJM rhododendron

o

Erin -- try some foxglove. Big, bold leaves and yellow or pink flower spikes. Long bloom period, Zone 3 hardiness.

o

Astible plants would be perfect for this place and they come in red, pink, purple, white

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here