Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unmoderated

Need suggestions for trees

unmoderated
15 years ago

I know everyone loves these threads, so I was wondering what you all thought of my situation:

I want to plant a row of small trees along the front of my store. Here are the issues I am facing:

1. The space I plan on placing these trees is between the sidewalk and the building, about 12' wide. The surface is actually some kind of crushed/recycled asphalt a construction crew dumped on when they were fixing the sidewalks. I know the soil underneath this is terrible, so I planned on planting the trees in large containers, made of either stacked landscape timbers or stone/concrete.

2. The trees would be along the north side, they get about 5-8 hours of sun a day.

3. They would be exposed to a good steady wind, usually a west to east. There is also a fair amount of road runoff; salt, excess snow, etc.

So far I have come up with a few options:

Crabapple; the size is manageable, and most varieties sold around here would be OK with these tougher conditions.

Hawthorn: see above

Locust: I don't like locusts, they are a plague in this area.

My questions: Is it possible to have these trees survive and thrive in this environment? Any other choices for trees, or larger shrubs for that matter?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!