Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammerl

garden gloves

hammerl
18 years ago

Does anyone have any preferred garden gloves? I seem to be especially hard on them, and have trouble keeping them in good condition. Usually, the left index finger wears through (I weed lefty a lot). Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferred brands or types? Best place to buy? I think my only intact pair at the moment are some kidskin gloves I bought one time, but they tend to stain my hands yellow, especially when it's warm and humid. I had a pair with a latex underside, but they too have fallen to the hole in the index finger, probably when I went picking rocks last week.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• robbiezone5
    18 years ago

i use these gloves that are white cotton, but the fingers, palm, top of hand are coated in some sort of rubber. they come in different colors --- i like the red, so i can spot them easier if i take them off and drop them someplace in the grass. off hand (no pun intended), i can't think of the brand. the pair i bought lasted a while. i bought two pair over a year ago so i would have a back-up. i'm getting to the point now where i'm gonna have to use the back-up pair. but i have been doing a lot yard work with that first pair.

• bloomville
    18 years ago

I like Women'swork gloves. They sell men's sizes/designs, too.

• robbiezone5
    18 years ago

i just remembered the brand name of the gloves i like --- i remembered they had the word "mud" printed on top of the hands. i did a search on google, and found this web site: http://www.mudglove.com/ProductIndex.html i got mine from a local nursery. good luck!
    --robbie--

• jlui
    18 years ago

Hi there!

My gloves are a heavy duty, all leather pair that even thistle thorns can't poke through easily. I've got several roses and a nasty case of thistles so I need impermeable gloves. They've lasted two years with no problems. Of course, I do most gardening without them. . . A very bad habit, but I don't really like wearing gloves. My hands get too hot and are way too clumsy with gloves!

Jen

• tomtuxman
    18 years ago

Generally, I can't wear gloves -- I get frustrated and just pull them off, so my hands and nails usually look awful.
    However, I had to rip out some nasty Japanese barberry recently (kind with the inch-long thorms, y'know?) and a friend gave me a pair of welder's gloves to work with. They were absolutely the best for really bad prickly plants! Better than any leather or suede garden glove.

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

I use mud gloves also...the original not a generic brand....seems to make a big difference in how long they last. I also make sure to remove any rings that stick up so they don't catch on the glove threads.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

I use different gloves for different purposes, and rebuy when the good ol' finger holes appear.

Waterproof plastic with cotton lining is good for early spring wetness. It's very flexible. (Adam's...Don't know brand)

Thick leather with insulated lining is good for working around thorns. The thicker the better.

Waxy coated cotton gloves (bi-color yellow/green) are all purpose which I use for breaking up sod or heavy root clumps. (again, Adam's).

Mostly, it's what fits comfortably and is flexible for work.

• kareen
    18 years ago

I too would just rather have my hands in the soil but when I work around the roses and other prickly plants I wear
    Master*Guard Westchester. My sister has kept me in these gloves for several years and they wear so well. Last year she sent me 3 new pair( the original was still in great shape) I don't feel the thorns and they wash up great in the washing machine. I believe she gets them at the Tractor Supply store and she said the last three were on sale for 70 cents a pair! 70% latex 30% cotton....made in China, distributed in Ohio.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Well I broke down and bought a pair last year and they are still sitting in the garage. I seem to be able to work better bare handed.

Penny

• misstish64
    18 years ago

I love my Foxgloves. The weave is tight so it prevents the dirt from getting under my fingernails (you know how you always spot that weed before a meeting or family event) and they keep me from getting sunburned. They are long enough to keep the flying dirt from vigorous weeding from getting in at the cuffs. I wouldn't recommend them for prickery jobs, but they're great for weeding, cutting, etc. Plus, they are purple so I don't lose them in the garage. All my other ones, even the suedey/leathery ones that say they are washable get stiff and unpleasant, so I wind up not wearing them.

• jannie
    18 years ago

I have two pairs of cotton/knit gloves. When one gets wet or muddy,I put on the other. They wash in the regular washer just fine.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm