Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammerl

heirloom tomatoes?

hammerl
15 years ago

Anyone know of someplace in Erie or Niagara county that is selling heirloom tomato plants?

Last year I got some beautiful plants at the WNY swap (ananas noir, hillbilly, and others).

So far I haven't seen any, but my search has been far from comprehensive. If anyone noticed any around in their travels, let me know. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Val,
    I wish I had known sooner, Hilde who lives out your way gave a bunch away on freecycle, and I had a bunch too.
    I did see heirloom tomatoes at Mike Weber Greenhouse a couple weeks ago. I don't know if they still have any. You could call.
    Remy

• Jerry Ciesielski
    15 years ago

I was just at Petals and Pine's (on Clinton & Old French) today (Thursday June 5th) and they had a good variety of sturdy heirlooms for $1.69 each. Pink & Red Brandywines , a bunch of Russian styles, and a few I recognized from seed catalogs but haven't seen in the flesh before.

While you are there, be sure to visit Mike Weber's- just across the street and highly recommended. They are mostly wholesale growers and grow alot of stock for the local nurseries.

I just discovered Earsing's down Clinton Road a bit, too, and I will be back. A charming place.

Bengert's on French is a great place for annuals and hanging baskets. Again they are mostly wholesale and have very nice plants.

Lastly, you may want to try and track down Richard Price, a guy in the city who grows hundreds of heirloom varieties and saves seeds. He has a sale every year (it is over) but he still may have some plants left, who knows? I think he was advertising leftovers on Craigslist last year. Remy, I'm surprised you don't know him!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dig The Tomato Man

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Jerry,
    I know do Richard, lol. He is friends with my neighbor, and will be at this year's tomato party. He doesn't have tomatoes though. He ran out very early in the morning of the first day of his plant sale because of the article you linked too.
    I too love Earsings!
    Remy

• hammerl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all. I ended up getting a bunch at Bill Weber's that look fantastic. (But I was completely freaked out when the guy at the register asked me if I worked at UB, in CIT, and for a minute I felt like I was being stalked... turns out he was a former student assistant here and recognized my name from sorting mail.)They look really healthy.
    I missed stopping at Petals and Pine's because I wanted to get home, and missed Earsing's because I always forget to head down Clinton. Hmm, maybe I can squeeze in a trip this weekend (when I don't know, I am really busy every weekend but...)

I always stop at Bengert's for some plants for pots. (Nearly typed pot plants, but realized that gave the wrong idea. Plants for potting in big pots, not marijuana! Really!) I made a quick stop yesterday, they were nice enough to stay open a bit later than planned for me, even.

My only regrets are that I don't have repeats of two of my favorite tomatoes that I got at last year's swap -- Ananas Noir and Hillbilly, which were grown by two different people (Remy, did you have the Ananas Noir, or am I misremembering?) Those were great tomatoes, and definitely conversation starters!

Thanks again.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Val,
    I'm happy to hear you got some plants. Yes, it was me with the Ananas Noir. I grew Purple Hillbilly last year, so the Hillbilly must of been from Ruth.
    Next year post sooner if you can't make it to the swap. I'll make sure you get some interesting plants.
    Remy

• hammerl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Remy. I'm hoping next year I can make it to the swap!

I didn't think I'd have a problem because I was growing my own from seed. Unfortunately I got absentminded and forgot them out on one of the chilly late May nights and they all died. Just my luck. Nurse them along for so long and one stupid mistake.

I think I got a couple different plants from Ruth (Hillbilly and ????) and two from you. But I don't remember what the other one was. Something or other Pear.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi again Val,
    Bummer about the plants! I'll never forget the year I planted out my peppers and eggplants and the rabbit ate all the leaves off my babies. Then I was driving around to the garden centers looking for replacements!
    The other plant was Italian Giant Red Pear. Ruth had Kentucky Beefsteak, an orange, that I took home.
    Anyway, at least you'll have tomatoes,
    Remy

• lilylouise
    15 years ago

Remy,
    It occurs to me that if I come to the tomato tasting I can redeem myself for getting this year's tomato IDs all mixed up.
    I know which ones are which because I planted my own before the rain washed away the labels on the remaining plants. I'll give it my best shot this year.
    Ruthie

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH