Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammerl

Rootstock from a rose

hammerl
18 years ago

I've got what appears to be some rosa multiflora leaning against the air conditioner condenser, blooming away. I moved a lovely, unnamed rose that I bought at the Botanical Gardens rare and unusual plant sale about five years ago. It was from a nursery in Java that no longer exists, and was simply labled "old-fashioned rose". Another tag inside was so smudged it was unreadable. Anyway, when the old a/c unit died, the new one had to be relocated into the flower bed to meet code. I moved the rose to a bed by the fence, where it's thrived. A little of the root must have been left behind, and apparently this rose is decidedly NOT own-root. I left it in the ground, as the leaves look similar. They're a dull gray-green. The roses are white singles that look like maybe (I stress maybe) rosa multiflora. It's actually kind of cute. Any harm in leaving it there? It's certainly healthy looking, incredibly well-leafed and blooming away for the first time ever.

Also, I've got a lovely J&P rose in the same bed some three feet away. It's a pink HT, forget the name. It's got a very regular HT bloom to it. This year it died down a bit. There are presently two pink blooms on it and one white bloom. Is the white a sport? It's very pretty, looks just like the pink one but in white or very very pale pink. It doesn't seem to be sucker growth, and J&P usually, to the best of my knowledge, used Doc Huey for rootstock about five years ago when I bought the poor thing. Usually my roses look like what they're supposed to. Help!

Comments (5)

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Hi Val, If the root stock is Multiflora, and it it is used by some rose growers, you should remove it. There are two reasons why. One is, it may look cute now, but it is a rampant grower. Two which is more important, is that it is the rose that is the host to a mite that causes Rose Rosette disease. This horrible disease has been discussed many times on the rose forum. As far as I know, we don't have any cases of it in our area yet, but it is probably only a matter of time. The mites travel to Multiflora plants, but then will attack other roses nearby. Rosette cause growth that is called Witch's Broom. It is an ugly disfigurement of the plant. It is an incurable. All affected plants must be destroyed. Then any plants not affected in the area, must be repeatedly sprayed with an expensive mite killer to keep the disease at bay.
    The Hybrid Tea with the white bloom could be a sport. If the bloom is coming from its own cane that is attached to the plant not from down in the ground. If this is the case, keep an eye on that cane and new canes from that cane, and see if the subsequent blooms keep the lighter color. If they do you can try to make a new rose plant later in the summer. (If you know how to do this, sorry for the explaination.)Get some rooting hormone. Cut some stems, you want to do a few because usually not all will survive. Cut them long enough to have a few inches below soil level and new growth above about 8-12 inches I would guess. Remove any leaves that are toward the bottom that would end up in the soil, and if there blooms attached, remove them. Scrape a bit of the outer surface from the bottoms of the stems and dip in rooting hormone. Stick it in a pot and keep it moist. When I've done this, I've kept the pot in a spot that only gets morning sun. As long as there is green, they are ok. Once you see new growth, they are developing roots. You don't want to keep them overly moist once growth has started, just treat them like any other potted plants. Then later in the fall, you can plant them in the garden. I hope that made sense, lol.
    Remy

• hammerl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I may be mistaken as to what the rootstock is. Last night we were out in Appleton and I saw lots and lots of rosa multiflora close up. What I have doesn't seem to resemble it all that much. The flowers are about three times the diameter, if not more (3"-4" or so across). The branches don't have the eighty million prickly thorns of r. multiflora either (my husband kept brushing against it), in fact it has few thorns. I've got a picture, I'll try to post it later when I can upload it. Whatever it is, it seems to be a rambler, it manages to hold on to things (like the air conditioner condenser), it's a creamy white color, it has five individual-looking single petals that each scallop in once at the center of the outside, kind of heart-like. It has pronounced yellow (I think) stamens. Blooms tend to be short-lived (at least in the hot heat they were), and the (rather pointed) buds are clustered. The canes have very few perioidic thorns, which hook away from the new growth in a slight curve. The stem is smooth, with a little red. The leaves are a dusky green -- almost a touch of bluish to them (blue like when we say a hosta is blue, not bright blue delphinium blue or poppy blue)or grayish, not bright or deep or glossy.

It fell out of favor as rootstock a long time ago, but could this be the dog rose? It really does not look like the r. multiflora from last night. Like I said, the rose came from the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens Rare and Unusual Plant Sale of 2000. It was from a nursery in Java or Java Center, and came in a large pot. (Beaver something or other, maybe? Beaver Meadows?) It had no indications of who grew it originally (J&P, Star, some other nursery, etc.), which might have given more of a hint, unless they're suddenly growing their own grafted roses in Java. It's not Doc Huey, so it's not a J&P. It's looking unlikely that it's r. multiflora, unless that plant varies wildly. It's not the rose I moved, either, which has small, deep pink multipetaled flowers, round buds, almost no visible stamens, etc.

• hammerl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's a picture of the rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1224764}}

• tomtuxman
    18 years ago

Hammerl, send your pic to the Roses forum or the Antique Roses forum. Those folks should know...

• hammerl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I tried "name that rose" yesterday, and two individuals immediately said (without my asking it) that it was rosa canina (dog rose). Thanks.