Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Weather?

booberry85
14 years ago

What is up with our weather? This is the second year in a row we've had warm temps the end of April & beginning of May and miserable the rest of the time. We're a day away for July and I'm in a sweat shirt! I'm also tired of all the rain. Anybody else frustrated?

Don't mind me, I just needed to gripe!

Comments (15)

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

12 years ago we were in this same type of weather pattern. Rain and chilly.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

Yeah, that's about the time we had a horribly, hideously hot Memorial Day weekend, then barely got above 80 the entire rest of the summer. It was a very good year for working in the garden since the heat never scared anybody off.

Right now I'm in a holding pattern because I just know the moment I seriously start moving things around because it's going to stay cool and damp, then the weather will change and I'll be stuck dragging hoses around for the rest of the summer. I've been there before too.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Yep I am in a sweatshirt too and will stay that way probably for the rest of the week. We really needed the rain but it could have come in moderation. I am still trying to get a few things planted out. I am way way behind this year.

Penny

• sunsi
    14 years ago

I'm glad we have this New York section to come and complain a little. :) I don't think with all this rain and cooler temps that I will see one blessed tomato this year, anyone else? I have a few forming on the plants but I don't believe they'll actually get ripe before the snow starts flying. :(

• penny1947
    14 years ago

We won't be seeing any consistent warm temps here in western NY this year other than day or two here and there thanks to la NinaOur 3 month forecast is for below normal temps.

Penny

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

Fill gallon milk jugs with water, and if you have something to darken the water, like seaweed emulsion add that, put the top back on and put at least one filled milk jug on either side of each tomato plant. The jugs heat up during the day and increase the temperature in the micro environment around the tomato plants at night.

-Rosalinda

• frank-h
    14 years ago

At least it's not snowing.....yet!

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

I've been enjoying all the rain and cooler weather. Haven't had to water and everything is so nice and lush. I don't like it too hot so this has been great for me.

This must be what England is like :-)

• penny1947
    14 years ago

GG England in a good year is very similar to what we are having this year. Althought there are summers where it is actually much hotter than it is here. I haven't talked to my cousin in a while but he usually keeps me up to date on the weather.

Being that I grow mostly southwest and tropical plants for my hummers this has been a tough year for me and my plants. Some still haven't bloomed and several of my spring plants never did bloom this year.

Penny

• sunsi
    14 years ago

rosalinda QUOTE:
    "Fill gallon milk jugs with water, and if you have something to darken the water, like seaweed emulsion add that, put the top back on and put at least one filled milk jug on either side of each tomato plant. The jugs heat up during the day and increase the temperature in the micro environment around the tomato plants at night."

Thanks, rosalinda, this is an excellent idea creating a little micro climate. I now have tomatoes starting to form but they aren't real big yet hoping for the ones I have now to at least color up some before frost. I can always pick them to finish ripening up inside.

We're getting plenty of Swiss Chard which seems to love this weather, beets are coming along great too. Have a musk mellon forming it's about the size of a mans fist.

penny1947, mentioned "la Nina" which was helpful and explains this mystery weather pattern for me, thanks.

• breenthumb
    14 years ago

Fellow on the next road has a good sized garden and that's my first choice for buying veggies when he has them. I asked if we should just give up expecting tomatoes because of the cold nights. Says he has lots of decent sized green ones and expects them to ripen in a couple weeks. Hope he's right.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

I hope so too as I have several nice green tomatoes. I did get one ripe tomato last week off a patio tomato that I have in a large pot but it was green forever before it finally ripened. I have the pot sitting on my blacktop driveway for additional radient heat when we actually have som heat.

Penny

• mfenimore
    14 years ago

Even in New York the weather has been crazy. All June and July we have been having exceptionally cool days. What ever happened to the dog days of summer.

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

I am really fed up also. We had close to 48 hours with no rain, once in 3 months - the slugs and snails are like I have never seen them in 50 years of gardening. Despite it being sink to your ankles wet in the veg garden, I did manage to work outside yesterday until 4pm when the thunderstorms rolled back in. At least I got my tomatoes tied up again. The weeds are growing like...weeds - thank goodness I mulched the veg garden heavily, or I would not be able to find the plants. The flower gardens on the other hand are a disaster. Between not being able to get in and deadhead, weeds, slug and snail damage (I am going to have to get a duck if this keeps up) and too much water flattening things, they are a mess.

Rather than having things not flower, my problem is everything is flowering way too early, so I wont have anything left for fall. Of course the flowers don't last at all, because they get drowned. Sigh.... next year will be better

-Rosalinda

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We got tossed by some amazing thunder storms Sunday & Monday. We lost power for a little bit. We were very lucky - not even tree damage, but a mile down the road was a different story. Too late for the garden this year, but I'm glad we're actually seeing the sun today (Yes! That is what that big yellow ball is in the sky!)and warmer temperatures. I might get some winter squashes after all!

I'm glad that I had cosmos that self seeded last year. It filled up a patch in the vegetable garden that is very soggy and full of weeds.

Yes, next year will be better.