Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lupine

Posted by mudlady Syracuse-z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 13:12

I LOVE lupine and deliberately travel to Maine in the spring to enjoy the way it flourishes along roadside banks. I live in Conquest (Port Byron address, between Auburn and Syracuse) and I and a friend have had no real success keeping it growing. I have bought mature, flowering plants from Dickman's in Auburn and also from the Phoenix Flower Farm. I have also tried seeds with no germination. I know Mane's soil is acid and mine isn't, but a few gardeners do manage to keep it going. I know the seeds have to be allowed to mature and drop to the ground for self seeding. I have had regrowth from one year to the next, but then the plant fails. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lupine

I'm no expert on lupines! but I have had the best success with the native blue vs any fancy Russell hybrids. I also know that they don't like to be transplanted, so if I do move them I water them well every day. I believe they will also succumb to overly-wet winter conditions -- so don't plant where they'll sit in wet ground and then freeze hard. They're picky for me too, but I have blue ones blooming now and they were self-sown. :)

o

So glad you posted about lupines. I've really wanted to get some for a perimeter around the vegetable garden; but if they're picky, they're not the perennial for me.

o

booberry, the best perennial perimeter I've ever seen used around a veg garden is BEARDED IRIS!!! They don't require lots of water, take very little space, and make a pretty and neat-looking edging.

o

Part of the eastern boarder of my veggie garden is irises! Thanks for the recommendation. It's always good to have confirmation!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here