Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggie_lover

Pea Plants

veggie_lover
18 years ago

This is my first year starting a veggie garden and my pea , carrots and onion plants seem to be very limp and have been in since 7 of May and still I am not seeing any pea pods.

I have been testing the soil each day to see when it needs water and have added Miracle-Gro Plant Food every 7 to 14 days as package said making sure I did not get too much on the leaves.

Still very limp plants with a little wilting at the very bottom of a few plants.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed, all my other plants, cucumbers, beets, tomatoes and squash seem to be doing very well at this point but they too have not shown any veggies and all but the tomatoes were planted all on the 7 of May.

Thank you in advance

Comments (3)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

It could be a combination of things. Hard to tell.

Soil preparation might be the first factor. I do not use miracle gro at all, but I always add compost & dry leaves in the fall, and some more at planting time for some veggies.

Peas are light feeders (so are onions). A little fish emulsion at blossoming time is all they may need. And of course peas don't like HOT weather! They also need little water (1/2 inch a week is enough) as long as it is not too hot. Overwatering may be the problem. My first peas are about ready. I'm looking forward to them..

Glad your other plants are doing well. they too have not shown any veggies . That's normal. Be patient.
    However, they may have been planted (squash in particular), a little too early-especially considering the COOL month of May we had. This heat wave should have given them a boost.

Have you checked the pH of your soil? What kind of soil do you have?

As for watering, a GOOD watering once a week is better than a little bit several times a week. Promotes stronger roots.

Good luck, Anne-Marie

• crankyoldman
    18 years ago

My peas were acting pretty limp until we started getting some of this rain. I grew a yellow-podded snowpea for the first time this year. They were really limp and sickly looking. I thought it was because of the strain and supplemented them with a planting of some much more robust variety I forget the name of from Stokes. Well, I misjudged the yellow-podded ones, because today I checked the plants and saw that they had grown so big that they had flopped over the other side of the pea fence. I thought this was the Stokes variety and was straightening them out when I saw they had beautiful cream-colored snowpeas on them. Needless to say, I et 'em! This is one heck of a sturdy variety. I planted them too deep and too early, and then we had no rain and all that heat, then a bunch of rain, and now they are huge. Good genes, I guess.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

Limp plants can sometimes mean you have tunneling voles eating the roots. Stick your fingers into the soil to see if there are tunnels. If yes, then set mouse traps baited with fruit, and place them under some plant leaves or under a bucket with an opening for them to crawl into.