Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mushrooms in lawn.

Posted by mudlady Syracuse-z5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 14:35

I live in Conquest (Port Byron zip code) which is between Syracuse and Auburn. I am in farm country and mow 2 acres of "lawn" which is what I call the green stuff that was nice enough to grow in what used to be a field of alfalfa and soy beans. It is definitely not a beautiful, manicured lawn, but I do mow it all during the growing season. We have had a lot of rain and now symmetrical little white mushrooms are everywhere. I am concerned because my new dog eats all kinds of non dog food items. She loves the clumps of mud and grass throw out by the mower. That is bad enough but now she has shown an interest in the mushrooms. I saw her eat one several hours ago but she hasn't developed any symptoms of distress. Part of me says they can't be poisonous or lots of neighborhood dogs would be sick or dead. Still, I would like to identify these mushrooms so I can learn about them. They are storybook like toadstools; smooth, white, symmetrical, rounded caps and slender stems. They are usually small but can grow fairly large. Any help in identification would be appreciated. I don't know how to post a JPEG.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mushrooms in lawn.

I do not know the name of this mushroom, but in areas where there are composting roots of former trees in the ground, they come out of my grounds too. There are dogs, cats, squirrels and other animals around and none of them ever died in my suburban half acre lot. You could spray a fungicide over the area where you see these mushrooms.

o
RE: Mushrooms in lawn.

We almost lost our 1yr old boxer to a mushroom! Depending on the kind they can and do kill dogs.she spend three days in hosp but made full recovery.If your dog starts excess drooling and shaking get it to a vet ASAP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here