Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poor Showing: Lilacs

Posted by Bloomville z4 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 14:47

This year, my otherwise prolific lilacs bloomed very poorly. They formed buds but then never opened. I am guessing the weather confused them--they seemed to form buds quite late (due to the cold spring?) and then with the very hot and dry weather, I am guessing they didn't have what it took to bloom. Maybe 6-8 puny blossoms on each of several large lilac bushes. The buds are still there, tight and dry.

Has anyone else in upstate NY observed similar problems? Does anyone know why this is happening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poor Showing: Lilacs

I had the same thing happen. I live at 1200' elevation, so our spring is behind those down in the valley. You have it right, it was the weather than confused the poor things. Last year we had great blooms. 2 years before that we had a killer frost on May 14 and the following year, 5 inches of snow on May 14! It's a wonder I see the lilacs bloom at all!

o

Thanks, Herbalbetty. I feel glad it's not something I did! Will look forward to next spring's lilacs. Funny, my pinxter did great!

o

It happened to mine also. I am pretty sure it was that late frost that did mine in. They all bloomed, but seemed to be half the size than normal. I haven't really done much to mine since I planted them, so this year I will be putting wood ashes on them and fertilizing them to give them a good start for next year.

o

Me too. There's always next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here