Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I get rid of a woodchuck?

Posted by northcountry47 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 17:07

I've never seen any around here before! Just in the last week, something has been munching on the carrot tops (grown in a half-barrel) and a lot of my asiatic and oriental lilies are snapped off right at ground level (they don't appear to be chewed). Yesterday I spotted a woodchuck running across the yard, so I think he may be causing the damage.
We have a Have-a-Heart trap; what would be good bait in it? Do they usually arrive in a bunch, or could he be alone? I guess the coyotes in our woods must have moved on because they used to keep the other critters away....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I get rid of a woodchuck?

They seem to like lettuce, try that.

o

A shotgun works really well and gives great satisfaction, especially after your food crops are eaten all up.

It's illegal in NY to relocate a trapped nuisance animal. If you use a trap, you may want to drown the animal in a garbage can full of water.

I've done both and it doesn't really bother me that much. I have enough stress in my life without adding rodents to the list. lol.

o

I agree - you have to kill them. They are almost impossible to fence out if there's something inside your garden they want.

Most states don't allow you to relocate them off your property. But also be aware that car exhaust and drowning are regarded as inhumane in many states. Agway sells "gopher bombs" that you put down the burrow and they work very well, in my experience, but only WHEN you manage to seal up all the other burrow entrances. You can also shoot them in many locales.

o

When it's illegal why then does the state permit selling traps? So it is not illegal! State, county and town do not enforce that law.
I caught a rabbit and relocated it into a park of my town just over a thruway, reasoned that I improved its habitat and also any coyote's. Woodchucks got treated by a neighbor with an air rifle. I used a handy sharp spade on one as I caught him eating my beans. It's survival, he ate my food. They dug up my garden and under the deck. New houses around me took care of any other woodchucks.

o

You can trap and kill them, you just can't relocate them to be someone else's problem.

o

susan, those traps are called 'Have a Heart' traps, probably not to be used for killing. In my town we may not discharge guns.

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 17:16

o

You can use the traps for anything you want! The name Havahart is just a name. I put the whole trap and animal in a garbage can full of water and drown it. Saves MY heart from endless stress from a rodent eating my food. Lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here