Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Great WNY Swap!

Posted by garden_frog Z6 Western NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 18:17

I just wanted to say thanks to all who attended this year. I can't tell you all how much I look forward to the swap every year. We have such an exceptionally generous and good natured group of swappers, it just makes for such an enjoyable day!

I can't believe all the plants I have to get in the ground now! Boy do I have a lot of planting to do! But I'm sure everything will look fantastic!

Thanks everyone for braving the ugly weather to make it out here! It was a great time as always. And thank you everyone for such awesome plants! I think I know where they are all going except Glen's cup plant. Gonna have to think about where I want to locate that one.

Did anyone leave behind a small coca-cola cooler?

Now, I'm off to relax for a bit! Happy planting everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Great WNY Swap!

You beat me to the punch Tara!

Thank you for hosting the plant swap yet again. It was great as usual and I have already put my first little plant in the ground....the Hen and chick has been planted! One down and many more to go. What could be better than great plants, great food, great fun and great gardeners! Thank you all for the wonderful plants that you brought and to everyone that participated in the Yankee swap/exchange and to Jerry for the delicious 'healthy cocktail'. Everyone's enthusiasm made up for the dreary start to the day! Oh and thanks to Scott too for putting up with all of us invading his 'mancave' LOL!

Penny

o

What a great day!

Tara, as always, you and Scott are fantastic hosts. It is so kind of you to open your home and garden to us every year.

The food was fabulous again. I have to especially thank Elizabeth for the superb cheesecake, it was scrumptious.

Jerry - cheers for the classy celebration beverage! What was that stuff that had the berry flavor? (I already forgot the name)

Thanks to everyone for the great plants, now I have to find space in the garden . . . .

And Tara, I'd like to know how you arrange to have the rain stop right on time so we could conduct our swap without getting wet? I could really use that skill.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 21:35

Tara,
You beat everyone to the thank you thread! : )
It was a great time as usual. The weather turned out ok, and what could be better than spending a day with a bunch of generous gardeners who are also excellent cooks.

Brenda,
When I got home, I went inside with hosta pot. Gary said, "OK, you better put it out front, no hiding it in the back." lol.

I'm already looking forward to next year. I also hope many of you can make it to the tomato party later this year,
Remy

o

Thank you for the generous and rewarding event in all ways. The setting, you have a beautiful garden to drool over and the relaxed family warmth you extend Tara,made this newbie feel completely welcome. The plants I brought home are all off my wish list now and some are ones I just learned I wanted. lol The Gardeners enthusiasm was so joyful. This was the first time I had been with a group and was able to relax and know that "Plant talk" was not only welcome but encouraged. What happiness! The food Mmmmmmm. I didn't eat dinner that night cause I was so full with satisfaction. My DH was jealous and quizzed me on what I had. All this and I get to go out in the garden today and plant all those gorgeous new jewels.

o

Tara & Scott-Thanks again for being great hosts, as always it was a great swap. Tara, that is my Coca-Cola cooler you can throw it in with the irises you promised to drop off at Penny's. Was great seeing everyone and meeting new garden friends, I came home with some great new plants. Jerry, great cocktail, and everyone else thanks for the delicious food. Penny and I managed to find a new route home again but at least we didn't get lost lol.

o

wren-garden,
I agree, it was nice to mingle with our own kind- folks who speak "plant talk".

Tara and everyone,
Thanks so much for a great day. That was an awesome swap! Can't hardly wait for next year's.

o

Thank you, Tara & Scott, for being gracious hosts, as a legion of gardeners fill up your driveway, descend on your yard, and stomp on your grass.

Thanks to everyone, for the native plants, heirloom tomato seedlings, rare grasses, obscure varietals, and great conversation, that make this exchange such a joy to attend.

Regarding the cocktail;
It is called the St-Germain Cocktail, and it is very easy to make. It is also great over ice as a summer refresher.

St-Germain Cocktail

2 oz cold, dry sparkling white wine
1.5 oz St-Germain Elderflower Liqueur
2 oz cold, sparkling mineral water or seltzer
twist of lemon

~Jerry

Here is a link that might be useful: St Germain Elderflower Liqueur

o

Jerry
Thank yo for sharing the recipe for St. Germaine's very own cocktail! It was very refreshing and I can imagine on a hot day it would be even more so! My newly planted acquisitons are doing very well and already looking forward to next year's swap.

Penny

o

Jerry, I finally found some St. Germaine's in Buffalo and am looking forward to making some yummy drinks this weekend :-)

o

I am so sorry I missed this years swap. Amazing how in just a couple of years it has become a major event in my year, and how much I regret not being there. Next year.....
-Rosalinda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here