Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asiatic Lilly buds gone

Posted by wantoretire_did z4 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 18:38

It happened last year and I just noticed again today. We have squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits. I should have protected them, but health problems on both sides have prevailed. What can I do next year to protect them?? They are otherwise healthy.......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asiatic Lilly buds gone

Traps!
Or, check to see if you have red lily beetles which eat asiatic lilies (and have disgusting larvae which cover themselves in their own black feces. Yuck.) Tap them into a container of soapy water.

Here is a link that might be useful: red lily beetle info

o

Deleted duplicate post.

This post was edited by susanzone5 on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 19:27

o

Thank you susanzone5. No, just the buds. The rest of the plants are fine. Two stems were broken at ground level which makes me think that the critter was heavy (not an insect). We were so looking forward to the blooms…….

o

Plants that animals like are best grown inside a fenced-in area with chicken wire along the bottom to keep out small and burrowing animals. If the buds are eaten, I'd suspect deer or woodchucks.

I stopped planting anything the deer eat, outside the fence. Lilies are all inside the fence with hardware cloth(1/4 inch wire mesh) surrounding the bulbs. Gotta do what you gotta do to not have to cry at precious flower loss!

Best wishes for a good crop next year. Toss some dried blood around to keep the animals off for now.

o

Deleted duplicate post. Why does this happen on gardenweb???

This post was edited by susanzone5 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:29

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here