Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
control poison ivy

Posted by dk_phd Dutchess County (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 21:32

Hi,
I want to eradicate my poison ivy and keep it away. I have a big bottle of Roundup which I have not yet used. My question is, once I get rid of the PI, what can I do to keep it away? Is there a ground cover that I can plant to out-compete the PI? The PI grows along my tree line. Should I thin out the trees and let more light in? Thanks for any suggestions.
Doug


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: control poison ivy

I would definitely thin out the trees if you can. Last summer I got hit by PI really bad trying to clean up the mess along our property line from the junk my neighbor lets grow up and never trims. I kept telling him that there was poison ivy in that thicket and he just laughted at me so one day I went with clippers and rake and started cutting everything down that wss overgrown and of course I was pulling up the poison ivy runners by the handsful. I washed my hand real well and I also wore gloves but it didn't occur to me that when I was hauling all this junk over to the trash pile I was accumulating that the sap was toughing my clothing. I ended up completely covered in poison ivy blisters for over a month.

Penny


 o
RE: control poison ivy

The only thing I ever found to get rid of poison ivy is a goat. I have a real aversion to using chemicals but broke down and let my husband get some for the PI, to no avail. Carefully cutting the stems and covering the roots with a piece of old carpet seems to work best (other than the goat) but does not sound as if it would work in your or Penny's case. I have an old willow tree that came down a couple of years ago, and I would love to cut it up or burn it or whatever, but it is covered with PI so I am not sure what to do.

-Rosalinda


 o
RE: control poison ivy

They make products specifically for Ivy - not sure if Roundup makes it but, Ortho does. I use that and it works great (generally I don't like to use chemicals, but I make an exception for poison Ivy!).


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here