Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lblack61

Oliver Paine Nursery in Oswego Cty

lblack61
17 years ago

I just went there for the first time on Saturday, and I was in awe.

This is my second year WSing and my third year at gardening. I haven't been tempted to buy a plant because my bounty is full, but Paine's was the first nursery I'd been to that had things I didn't and would like to.

Has anyone else been there? I notice it's a bit pricey, but the quality of their plants is higher than anywhere else I've seen, but they seem to have some very unique things:

1. A Coleus with pointed leaves that are only about an inch wide and about 5-6 inches long. They way the leaves grew out of the pot made it looked like colorful, shredded paper

2.Deep purple-maroon trailing Geraniums

3. Grasses, and foliage plants-- of which I did pick up one-- a variegated Peperomia.

There were things I couldn't name that were absolutely gorgeous. I'm definitely going to be paying them another visit.

Anyone made notable (or notorious) purchases there?

Comments (5)

• mudlady_gw
    17 years ago

It is a nice place. They do good seminars and a friend and I took a third friend there for her birthday. It was early spring and the seminar, for $30, let us make a beautiful hanging basket. We chose the plants we wanted from a nice variety. We were allowed to leave the baskets there until it was safe to put them outdoors. At that time I bought some expensive Proven Winner geraniums that are fabulous. Another place to go that is nearby is the Phoenix Flower Farm. This place isn't a slick, big greenhouse but it is very nice in a different way. Both Phoenix and Paine have websites and good directions.
    Nancy

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

I just started going there this Spring after seeing an ad for one of their workshops....Nancy were you in the first class or the second class? I was in the second class (Saturday morning)....

Anyway, I have found that they seem to have the best price on the Proven Winner annuals when you buy them by the dozen. Everywhere else they are $4+ each. I've bought 3 dozen for myself and took my mom there on Mother's Day and bought her a dozen. I also got a dozen of their geraniums. All of the plants I have bought are doing fabulously! I plan on going back to get some more stuff very soon. I can't believe I never heard of them before this year....I guess they have been around a long time.

They have a great website too and if you sign up for their newsletter, they send you a coupon for a free pack of annuals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oliver Paine Website

• lblack61
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the Phoenix nursery. I'll have to check that out :-)
    I told my MIL I want to take her out to Paines so she can see it, because I know she'd love it. Maybe we can go to Phoenix too while we're at it.

• mudlady_gw
    17 years ago

Adina--

I came with another Nancy; the workshop was her birthday present. We were supposed to have a third person with us but she had to cancel. The person giving the talk made Mindy's basket as she demonstrated what to do. I'm the one who refused to get into the picture. Sound familiar?

Nancy

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

Yes, it does sound familiar...LOL. I wonder why they wanted us in the picture so bad, because I have never seen it. I thought they were going to post it on their website, but they only posted the picture from the first class. Good to "see" you again. I think I may have to make a trip out there this weekend, if it ever stops raining.
    - Dottie

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden and Craft Projects

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living