Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Ithacans want some plants?

Posted by chicoryflower 5 Ithaca (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 07 at 22:04

I have no idea when to divide, and I have loads of plants I want to just get rid of.

Is there anyone local who a) knows when to divide; b) wants some plants?

Cheers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Ithacans want some plants?

I was always taught that you divide plants either in the fall after they've finished blooming or in the spring before they bloom.

o

Hi, Carol.

Thank you. Again, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Any idea of how to start periwinkle for transplanting?

o

Periwinkle is easy. Just cut off a piece and stick in water it will root.
I have it all over here. I inherited it when I moved into this house.
It grows easily. I have to trim mine since it edges the driveway in some spots. Whenever I trim it I take the trimmings and stick them in water. Once they root I simply plant them.
Another way is to take the cuttings and lay them so the cut tips are in a composted/dirt mixture and then keep damp till they root.
I think sticking it in water is much easier.

o

Carol, thank you so much - I have a huge area to plant and already have periwinkle growing (in the lawn no less). The garden book I have suggested 198 clumps for a 10 X 10 area... I'll need something like 600-700 clumps to get this area started.

o

Periwinkle likes damp compost rich soil...not wet. You'd be surprise how fast it will fill in. When we moved in here the patch near the drive was kind of sad looking. Some serious weeding and a few years of it getting some care and it's thick and rich looking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here