Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lnmp_gw

Let's take a trip!

LNMP
18 years ago

Last year, Adkmountaingirl and I visited Cornell Plantations in Ithaca, on our way back from a bird club trip to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Unfortunately, we did not have nearly enough time to explore this extraordinary facility, and promised ourselves that we would return.

I was curious to see whether any of the Upstate NY Forum folks from the Albany/Saratoga region might want to participate in a group trip to Cornell Plantations. "Drop-in" tours are offered, but we could certainly visit and wander at our leisure. It would be a LONG day trip, or we could do some sort of inexpensive overnight (IF I can find a better place to stay this time!). Feel free to contact me off-list if you prefer.

More info on Cornell Plantations can be found at http://www.plantations.cornell.edu/

Comments (14)

• kareen
    18 years ago

Wow, that would be an awesome trip. I was there the beginning of this month and there are just not enough words to describe how great a place it is.They said mid July thru August it really is blooming. Here is a picture of the Treeman Woodland walk with the primrose blooming.....just beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• herbalbetty
    18 years ago

This summer the Robison York Herb Gardens are going through complete renovations, so it won't be as fabulous as in previous years (until it recovers). We were there in early June of this year and renovations had begun. I know it will be stunning when completed, as it was impressive before! The peony garden in early June was gorgeous and plants were just coming into flower.

• shimla
    18 years ago

Sounds like a really wonderful trip! Let me know when you girls are thinking about going and I'll see if I can work it into the schedule. I'd be game for the overnight stay, also. How long of a day trip is it?

• LNMP
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's roughly 4 hours from the Capital Region. Ithaca is a great area - some excellent restaurants, "gorges" state parks (ever seen those "Ithaca is Gorges" bumper stickers?), and the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology for the birders among us. Of course, you could probably spend two days at the Plantations!

Last year we stayed at a chain motel that was just awful, so I'd want to find someplace different if we spent the night.

• shimla
    18 years ago

Maybe someone from the area could recommend a decent place to stay that's close by!

• adkmountaingirl
    18 years ago

Definitely count me in! I've been dying to go back there since lnmp's and my visit last August. Thank goodness for photo "time stamps" ~ they are so much more reliable than my memory!!).

I have some amazing photos from our trip.

Help, please! Can anyone walk me through adding them to a response so you all can enjoy them as well??? (Thanks in advance!)

adkmountaingirl
    Wilton, NY

• kareen
    18 years ago

Adkmountaingirl.....
    Store your photos in photobucket.com ....
    Once your photos are uploaded, look under the photo and highlight and copy the TAG address
    Then come over here and paste that address into your message , when you preview your message the photo should appear.
    You may want to resize your photo before you put it on photo bucket , although they do resize it still is larger than it should be on here and makes us have to do a lot of scrolling to read the posts.
    If you need more help , feel free to email me directily. Kareen

• adkmountaingirl
    18 years ago

Kareen:

I opened a photobucket.com account, but I can't figure out how to use the "browse" to find the pictures I want to post, since I have 6 albums that are all on my "c" drive, and I only want to post a few picures. I guess I need more specific instructions...like how do I browse and how do I upload them? I sometimes get very frustrated when techology doesn't work the way I think it should!! LOL

Should I e-mail you off-line or do you think others are also wondering how to do this? It's up to you. (Either way, thanks in advance!)

adkmountaingirl
    Wilton, NY

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

Too hot to think clearly, adkmountaingirl... So if this does not make sense, it is MY fault!
    When you click on the 'browse' button, you should get a box "look in" with a pull down menu (click on the arrow to get to it) that helps you select where your pictures are stored (desktop, c drive.. wherever you have pictures). Select 'c' drive, that should open up another menu with several folders, select the folder your pics are in, open that folder (by clicking on it) and then select the picture you want to store on photo-bucket. Then click the OK button or 'open' button. Repeat the operation until you have uploaded all the pictures you want.
    This is what I do with my yahoo albums. I'm sure it is the same with Photobucket.
    Good luck,
    Anne-Marie

• shimla
    18 years ago

Adk - create a photo album title within photobucket under the "Add Sub Album". Then, when your in that particular album, click on the "browse" box. This should take you directly into your computer's directory. From there, find where you have stored your pics (ex. C://My Pictures). When you find the pic you want, just click it and it will copy into photobucket for you. Underneath the location your loading, there is also a space for a tag/title. You can title your photo here. Hit 'submit' and wait a couple minutes for it to load. (If you're not sure of the picture, before you click it to add it to photobucket, you can hit "open" and get a preview of the pic first). Help?

Here's one I just loaded up. I copied the "tag" underneath the picture and pasted it in here. (It's the middle selection). This is how you tuck a picture directly into a post. Love coreopsis!

• kareen
    18 years ago

Adkmountaingirl.....
    It looks like Anne_Marie and Shimla are taking good care of you .If it is still causing problems email me directly. I had to be hand held thru it when I was learning and I learned on message boards too.

Shimla , love the white mallow....if that is what it is...the coreopsis is great too.

• shimla
    18 years ago

Thanks, Kareen. Yes that's white malva. There is also the purple malva behind it. It self seeds in the garden. Here's a shot of the Japanese Butterbur from last year's exchange and the 2 new ones I planted next to it. I've been tending to them - can't wait to see them next year when they revive!

LMNP - I emailed Adkmountaingirl this evening that the date for the trip will work for me also. Looking forward to it!

• kareen
    18 years ago

It's looking good Shimla, keep posting those pictures , I am enjoying them. Kareen.

• adkmountaingirl
    18 years ago

Thanks to Kareen, shimla, and Anne-Marie for your on-line help, and Want_to_Retire_did (who gave me a copy of her "Dick and Jane" basic instructions after we exchanged some plants with each other today) for the photo bucket help instructions.

As soon as I can get the thread printed out (I don't have a printer yet), I'll try my luck at it again. I want to make sure I don't try to do it from memory! In the meantime, I appreciate all of you trying to assist me.

Keep cool in this hot "icky" weather!

adkmountaingirl
    Wilton, NY

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor