Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary1nys_gw

Rain!

mary1nys
17 years ago

Hope everyone upstate is making out okay with this rain deluge! My rain gauge measured 7 inches of rain in the past couple of days!

Comments (5)

• starmoon
    17 years ago

Grrr... Will it ever stop raining? Even the things I cut back because they were getting too tall are now too tall again. Floparama! I am going to have to resort to staking like a mad woman because everthing is falling over. Luckily I thought ahead and staked some of my tall lilies and hollyhocks before they would have gotten toppled as well by our crazy amounts of rain.

I was a mean gardener the other day and ripped out a bunch of 3 foot tall shirley poppies and a few 4 foot tall coreopsis grandiflora that got totally flattened by the rain. I guess I had had it with their unmanageable ways, but I still felt bad afterwards for being so aggressive with them! My golden marguerite may be next. :)

Hope all of your gardens aren't getting washed away! Good luck!

*)

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Sorry you guys are getting drenched. Here between Buffalo and ROchester we are getting just the right amount, about an inch a week. I'm so glad to have enough rain for a change, the last couple of years were so dry. Just send the extra rain our way.

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

We've gotten about 4-5 inches of rain in the past four days....not as much as some, and I am greatful for that, but I too need to do a lot of staking and cutting to get things looking decent again.

• mountainsong
    17 years ago

I was wondering if I'd regret putting in raised beds, but with my tendonitis, "lasagna gardens" and raised beds are the way to start new areas. We just moved to our house last fall, so I'm starting the first phase of a big potager style garden, as well as keeping up with the previously established gardens. I had to just do the beds without any hardscapes, no time for that, and with the rain, planned construction of walls for the raised beds had to be put off. So, now I'm glad that I did raised beds, because my plants aren't drowning. But, the walls of some of the raised beds are crumbling, as I feared they might. And we will be leaving town on Monday for two weeks, so I'm scrambling trying to get things set, but working around one heavy thunderstorm after another.

Has anyone seem the documentary called "An Inconvenient Truth"? It has some pretty good explanations for why we're getting such intense weather, and unless a lot more people wise up fast, it's not going to get better.

At least my late transplants are happy, and not getting burned up.

Canoeing, anyone??!

Mountainsong

• jayco
    17 years ago

A lot more people in certain high up positions would need to wise up fast, and it's not looking like that's going to happen... at least not until 2008.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?