Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainsong_gw

Waiting to plant!

mountainsong
17 years ago

Umm, just wanted to whine a little, 'cuz I've got plants I've started from seed, and herbs I bought at Baltimore Woods Nature Center, and a few perennials I bought, AND my newly arrived Mother's Day rose... I want to plant all ASAP, and it's cold and rainy!

Carolyn in Jordan, who, although she's loving being back home in CNY, got a little spoiled by all the sunshine in GA

Comments (15)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Carolyn,
    My seedlings, transplants, divisions and 3 purchased six packs of annuals have all been planted out. I still have a few things that are in pots as I just haven't decided where they will go yet. I planted my stuff out in the cool light rain last week. Even if the temps are in the 50's they should be fine. I grow a lot of tender hummingbird plants such as cannas, southwestern salvias and agastaches, fushcias, lantana, impatiens, manettia, etc. and they are all doing just fine. My Salvia guaranitcas are even blooming now.

Penny

• cbs_z5_ny
    17 years ago

For most perennials, I think this cool, wet weather is ideal for planting, assuming the plants have been hardened off.

Penny - did you overwinter the Salvias or start from seed? I started some seeds of S. guaranitica this spring and though they were doing great inside, they now seem to be stuck at about 5" tall. I thought perhaps it was the weather, but if yours are blooming, maybe not?

-Caroline

• mountainsong
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, maybe I'm mixing my Georgia knowledge with my central NY knowledge. It's REALLY not okay to plant in wet clay. Not a problem here??

Carolyn, eager in Jordan

• dirthappy
    17 years ago

I agree with the rest, it's okay to plant now. Mine have been in for 2 weeks. They aren't growing much. Chilly temps and so much rain I'm sure are the blame. The weeds are doing great, though

• cats39
    17 years ago

Hi All!

I feel the pain. June 10th and I haven't been outside at all today; (except for the dog to do her thing).

54 degrees at 03:00PM and light drizzle. 24 degrees below normal. With all of the wet and cold I hope my Dahlias don't start rotting in the ground.

I still have plants to put in yet, veggie as well as annuals. Every time I have the chance the weather is like today's. Certainly not conducive to be enjoying a gardening day.

Jim

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Caroline, My guaraniticas that are blooming are either rooted cuttings or the big one I winter over inside. The ones from seed haven't bloomed yet but have grown quite a bit. The first 2 Salvia subrotunda from seed that I planted out quite early are about to bloom but the ones that were more recently planted out may still have a couple of weeks to go. I also have a Salvia Purple Majesty cutting that is in bloom and that one is only 6 inches tall so far. My Agastache Desert Sunrise is also ready to bloom.

Jim
    you are so right. This weather isn't very conducive to gardening. I can't get in the mood to be doing anything outside when I am still wearing winter clothing.
    Penny

• magicman2u
    17 years ago

• booberry85
    17 years ago

Carolyn, I think a lot of people know this feeling this year. We got teased by the weather in April. May to June has been frost to 90+ degrees to cool to rain, rain, rain! I was working on a job site on friday and got caught in a down pour! Then I had an hour ride home. I don't think I've warmed up since. I did do a little gardening on Sunday. I still have lilies of the valley (which I bough three weeks ago) and some marigolds to put in. The main garden is (mostly) done. Not as big as I antisipated, but you just do the best you can do.

Better weather is predicted for the next two weeks. Keep your fingers crossed!

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I'm confused, where are you guys??? It's been 70 and sunny all week here in Lewiston. It's still cold at night though so most of my annuals seem a bit stunted : (

• magicman2u
    17 years ago

Julie my problem is not time...it's space! I mean I have the space to make more beds...but right now all my beds are OVER FULL! Just to let you know I live in North Tonawanda if you need some plant!!!Wayne

• cats39
    17 years ago

Tastefullyjulie wrote:

>I'm confused, where are you guys??? It's been 70 and sunny all week here in Lewiston.We haven't seen the Sun (in the Syracuse area and east) since sometime last week. In fact it would be a week ago today. We've been in the 50's most of the time. We came close to turning up the heat on 2 mornings (Sat & Sun). I was able to put on a pair of shorts yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours as the Sun did make a few peeks and you could almost feel it through the overcast; we reached a high of 67.

Now there predicting we might not get any Sun (in this area)until Thursday, although a bit warmer.

Why didn't my Grandfather listen when they said, "Go West Youngman."

I'm assuming Lewiston is west of Syracuse, as I'm not sure?

Jim

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Jim, I think you should listen to those people, lol. It's still my dream anyway, can't stand winter!

Lewiston is at the northwesternmost tip of New York, bordering Canada. You'd think it would be colder here but something about Lake Ontario keeps it nice - my theory at least : )

• dirthappy
    17 years ago

Sometimes moving is a topic at my house. We both dislike the winters and spring and summer are so short. We've looked into moving to Texas but I'm dragging my feet because I know it's so hot there right now. And, too, I have a house and land I really enjoy. Right now all my plants are at a stand still. I threatened to put the greenhouse back up and garden inside. They were so pretty in their cuccoon enviornment. Oh sorry, I didn't plan to make this a vent.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Julie,
    I too am in N. Tonawanda and last week it was cold. It is better this week. Yesterday I actually had on a t shirt instead of a sweatshirt. You have to understand that when the temps are at 68 or below, this southern transplant is wearing sweats. This past week end we had a lot of really chilly wind out of the North.

Now if the weather will just continue to get better I may actually have a halfway decent hummer garden this year. My first Salvia subrotunda bloomed this morning but even my fuchsia cuttings are slow to bloom this year.

Penny

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

dirthappy,

I want to move to Texas too! San Antonio area. I bug DH about it EVERY DAY and I get brochures in the mail constantly. I would miss my yard here in the summer but that's it and I'm sure I would love my yard there almost always. I keep saying "in a few years, in a few years, in a few years..." ; )

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor