Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wilting sweet potato plants

Posted by mary10greenfingers 5 ny (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 23:53

I have sweet potatoes plants from slips which I started this Spring. They look healthy and are full of leaves, but wilt whenever they get sunshine. This happened last year also (my first try ), and I have had to shield them from direct sun. Can anyone tell me why this is so. I thought they can take full sun to part shade. They are in a raised bed with sandy loam. Watering does not make any difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wilting sweet potato plants

I'm wondering if the root system isn't big enough to support the green growth. Was the wilting less of an issue later in the season last year?

o
RE: wilting sweet potato plants

Hi Jeanie, Your suggestion seems correct, since I posted the same question in the vegetable garden web. The folks there have informed me that it is a normal phenomenum that some will wilt as it is a defense mechanism for conserving water. Perhaps when the root system grows more extensive, they will stop wilting. Last year I continued to keep them under some shade until harvest, and never thought to uncover them to see.
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here