Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lonniec_gw

Suggestions for perennials in shady spot?

lonniec
16 years ago

I'd like to put a perennial bed in a spot that is near the house and gets sun only half the day, and that through a sparsely leafed tree. I'm trying to get a lot of color on short plants. Is this possible?

Comments (6)

• waplummer
    16 years ago

Geraniums, Campanula, Platycodon, Aquilegia, Tiarella, Mitella, Chrysogonum, Meconopsis are a few that come to mind. If there are perennials you especially like, try them. they might surprise and delight you.

• von1
    16 years ago

Epimediums like shade and a dry spot also.
    Von

• party_music50
    16 years ago

For color on short plants in some shade, I like to use a lot of great foliage plants.

Heucheras: (common name "coral bells"): They come in incredible colors now! I love Peach Melba and Peach Flambe, Amethyst Mist, Green Spice, Plum Pudding, Silver Scrolls, Obsidian, ... so many good ones.

Hostas are great too -- if you want short, these come in minis and dwarfs, and give you golds/yellows, blues, white, all shades of green and types of variegation.

Others that come to mind are Brunneras like 'Jack Frost', Pulmonarias (common name "lungwart", like 'Diane Clair'), Ligularia like 'Britt Marie'...

I like using plants for their foliage and texture because then I have the color/look all season, and not just when the plants are in bloom.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I made this list of my shade plants for a GWer on another forum. Here's a copy:

Geraniums do very well in part shade. There is even a native shade plant geranium that I grow.
    Other plants I have in part shade to shade(some may already have been mentioned):
    Virginia Bluebells
    Woodland Phlox
    Pumonaria(Lungwort)
    Primula- could be too hot to grow for you?
    Hellobore(Lenten and Christmas rose)
    Climbing Hydrangea
    Hydrangea shrub
    Itea(Virginia Sweetspire Shrub)
    Clethra(Summer Sweet Shrub)
    Jack in the Pulpit
    Columbine
    Hosta
    Forget-me-nots
    Japanese Iris
    Viburnum shrub
    Brunnera
    Bleeding Heart
    Ferns
    Thalictrum
    astilbe
    Leucothoe shrub
    Mahonia shrub
    Tiarella
    Heuchera
    Fothergilla shrub
    Serbian Bellflower- other short campanula varieties
    Japanese Anemone
    Iris cristata
    Kirengeshoma palmata
    Clematis will bloom with morning only sun
    Bulbs-daffodils, snowdrops(galanthus), frittelaria, English bluebells, snowflakes(leucojum vernum), iris reticulata

Hope that helps,
    Remy

• penny1947
    16 years ago

How about Spigelia marilandica (Indian Pinks). The prefer morning sun to high shade and do well in loamy soil. They bloom from spring to summer and are hardy to zone 5

Penny

• hammerl
    16 years ago

In my shade bed (which varies between filtered sun between leaves and almost no sun), I have, in addition to what's above, goldenstar, may apple, heucherella, toad lily, columbine, scottish bellflower, forget-me-not, trillium, globeflower, and corydalis.