Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jean_mdc

Very little blooming in my shade gardens

jean_mdc
18 years ago

I need a little help in my shade gardens. Right now I have very little blooming. If you happen to have anything blooming right now...in the shade ......that is a perennial....please let me know so I could add a little color.

Thanks a bunch.....I know you'll have great idaes.

Jean

Comments (14)

• jannie
    18 years ago

My shade garden basically disappears by this time of year. All I have are spring-bloomers. Bleeding hearts, astilbe,foam flower, virginia bluebells, stuff like that. Hope others can give you some ideas.

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

I have Hydrangea 'Limelight' and Lilium White Stargazer blooming in my shade garden now. Both can take quite a bit of shade.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

Hi, Jean!

It is so nice to see you back on the forum! Can't tell you how much I enjyed your garden!

Just got back from a weekend trip at the Cornell Plantations in Ithaca with 3 other 'Upstaters' (just preceded by a week in Maine), so I have been "away" for a while. Anyway, the Cornell gardens were amazing, and there were a few shade plants in bloom (besides hostas obviously).
    The main ones were the Cimicifuga racemosa (black snakeroot), tall plants
    Rudbeckia laciniata (cut-leaf rudbeckia)-tall plants also
    Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal flower)
    Ligularia --several varieties, but I do think you have some if I remember correctly.

In my 'shade' garden, I have a clethra alnifolia (summersweet) that is just about ready to bloom. It is a small shrub that I highly recommend. Flowers are extremely fragrant. Some perennials can take some shade: chelone (should start soon), lobelia shiphilitica (blue lobelia) --should bloom soon--platycodon (balloon flower), and black-eyed susan, both already in bloom.

This is all I can think of right now. If you don't mind digging up the rhizomes in November (after first hard frost), tuberous begonias add a lot of color all summer long and come in various colors.

Anne-Marie

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

oh.. and I forgot my oxalis crassipes rosea.. shame on me! It has been blooming since I planted it back in May. Check the link.

Anne-Marie

• hammerl
    18 years ago

Certain varieties of my Hosta are blooming right now. The goat's beard is also blooming. Some of my hydrangeas are blooming, too. I've got some gooseneck loosestrife in the bed blooming as well, some scottish bells, and I think the spirea bush is still going, though I just got back from vacation and haven't really looked at it.

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

Mainly the hydrangeas and Hosta are blooming now for me....I added tons of coleus this year and am so pleased with how it has brightened things up.

• hammerl
    18 years ago

Checked at lunchtime. The spirea is about done, but I forgot to mention the trumpet vine blooming its head off.

• jean_mdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all so much for your great ideas. Yesterday I went to the hosta club picnic and Viktoria the hostess had a beautiful specimen of beautiful brilliant blue flowers blooming in the shade. We all inquired as to what they were... she replied that they were gentian. Another great idea!

Thanks again....Jean

• kareen
    18 years ago

We expect to have Gentian growing in the Prairie demo garden at Parker School.Our plant propagator friend over in the hollow loves them and I believe propagates them. I think High Country gardens might have them too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• jeanie
    18 years ago

hi, i didn't notice anyone mentioning the fall blooming anemone.(August thru Oct.) I have a lovely soft pink and pure white. I love this for easy care and gently rambling nature. Another Fav. is the Hardy Begonia, which can be diificult to locate but is easy from seed. Jl Hudson has the seeds some years as does Gardens North. astibles are another choice if you have semi moist soil, I am on 80 feet of sand so not the best choice for me. That doesn't keep from trying.
    There is a really ggod book, Easycare Shade Flowers you might want to check out. P. Taylor is the author.
    Good luck

• jean_mdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jeanie
    Thanks so much for mentioning the fall blooming anemone. I do have a pink and a white. My pink has not started to bloom yet and my white one usually blooms so late that I am afraid I will loose it to the frost. They are so beautiful though. I have never tried Hardy Begonia, will they over winter outside? I do have quite a few astibles but they had a rough year with that real dry spell.
    Thanks again for trying to help. Jean

• jeanie
    18 years ago

Yes the hardy Begonia are hardy and winter over. The are very pretty when not in bloom and the light shine thru the leaves. They have an angelwing shaped leaf.
    Tha latin name is begonia grandis

• waplummer
    18 years ago

I have one Jack that just finished bloomin and one that is starting to bloom. Astilbe chinensis pumila is coming into bloom and a couple others are still hanging on. Several Campanula are blooming as well as several Geraniums. Hostas, of course and the long-blooming Corydalis lutea and C. ochreleuca. There are a few flowers yet on my chrysogonum and Meconopsis is reflowering. Just coming into bloom is Kirengeshoma and the Japanese anemones. Then there is my monstrous sun flower(?) six foot plus with large opposite leaves and yellow petalled flowers ( I think I got it from Ellen Hornig of Seneca Hills. My Acteae rubra berries are brilliant just now.

• jean_mdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Waplummer for your excellent suggestions. I will have to check my jacks and I do have a bunch of low astilbes that are getting ready but nothing yet. My campanulas are all done...what are the names of the bloomers that are still at it?

My yellow corydalis is still blooming away and blooms all season. Do you have any others that bloom as well? I bought a blue one but did not have luck with it.

Thanks again! Jean