Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

poo pots

penny1947
16 years ago

Did anyone see Larry King Live this past week when he interviewed Mike Rowe, the host of Dirty Jobs? Well if you didn't, one of his dirty jobs was working on a dairy farm where they recycled Cow patties.....into plantable plant pots. It is really a great concept. Anyway I thought it was pretty neat idea and environmentally friendly. Here is a link to their website called COW POTS. I don't know if any of our local nurseries carry them yet but they are available online.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: COW POTS

Comments (8)

• Jerry Ciesielski
    16 years ago

Sounds like a good idea. Better than peat pots, I guess.
    My only problem with pots NOT made of plastic, is I tend to over-water 3 and 4 inch pots as seedlings are getting started, and the bottoms get soggy and fall apart.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Penny,
    I saw it too! I thought it was a gross show, but a great idea!
    Remy

• laurelin
    16 years ago

I just had to check the posting after reading that title, lol. It's a great idea. I guess I'd wonder how they would prep the, er, material so that undigested weed seeds wouldn't sprout from the pots as they absorb water.

Laurel

• penny1947
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurelin,
    I didn't get to see that particular show even though we watch it all the time but I did see excerpts and I guess it it screened and filters pretty well. I don't know if nurseies here are selling the pots but a friend in Conn. bought some this spring and she said her plants were growing like crazy. They are available online too.

Penny

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Thanks, Penny!

It's a great recycling/composting idea. Nothing wasted, lots to be gained.

Laurel

• penny1947
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The pots are a little on the pricey side ($1.00 each) when you compare them to regular pots but what a time saver. You would be feeding your plants right from the start and as Laurel said you are composting and recycling all at the same time. I am seriously considering ordering some for next year. Also great for those plants that don't transplant well.

Penny

• husky004_
    15 years ago

Penny-I didn't catch the show but they sound like a great idea, I know the Buffalo Zoo sells Zoo Doo for fertilizing plants but I haven't tried it.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OH BOY finally! Hey Kathy and all Have been having a problem logging in to GW. Site keeps timing out and I am having to login everytime I want to post so I haven't been checking in.

Anyway with regards to the poo pots, I have talked to a few people on my hummer forum who have tried them and have been very pleased with the results. They did say that they would use them more if they were cheaper....so that is just and FYI for everyone that is interested in an update.

I haven't heard of the 'ZOO DOO" but it sounds like the same concept.

Penny

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner