Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyceteach

Green pepper question

JoyceTeach
18 years ago

Is anyone else experiencing the same situation that I have with pepper plants this year ..??.. I have gorgeous, healthy tall plants with almost no peppers on them. In fact the few peppers I got came from only 3 different of my 24 plants! Most of them have not even flowered. I have been veggie gardening for 10 years and have never had pepper problems at all. I have tried online investigating and a possibility might be the extreme high heat we had in early July where the overnight temps stayed in mid 70's. I had a great pepper crop last year even with the cool, soggy weather. This has me a little stumped and a lot disappointed. Any advice or insight appreciated!

Comments (7)

• reign
    18 years ago

Did you make changes to the soil in the area where you're growing peppers? Healthy tall plants with no flowering sounds like nutrition. You're not seeing anything with the plants that point to a nutrition problem? I know it sounds like a catch all default answer. I'm only tossing it out here because one of my pepper plants is not producing. On that one I know it is nutrition.

• hammerl
    18 years ago

I did my six pepper plants in a planter on the patio (the rest of the yard is shady, the patio is sun, go figure), and I have lots of flowers and peppers. In fact, two or three peppers are just about ready to pick, and lots more remain on the plants. All I can think of is whether yours received enough water at one time to go with the heat (to throw deep roots), or whether your soil is overworked.

• JoyceTeach
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your responses. We have good soil which we enrich with compost and manure and have tilled by tractor each year. My husband is a faithful water-er, too! All of our other crops are doing exceptionally well this season so the mystery of the missing peppers is still puzzling. My sister in law was visiting here (near Syr) from the Albany area this past weekend and said she too had a decrease in the number of peppers she got, but not to the degree we experienced. Although on a bright note, I have now noticed small buds beginning to form near the tops of several of the plants. So... maybe we will get a few more.

• lblack61
    18 years ago

What would anyone suggest for nutrition for pepper plants. I have two that are tall and not flowering.

• crankyoldman
    18 years ago

I think it is a heat thing, as someone mentioned. Stokes has info for growers that says that if they get heat early on, they won't flower or produce fruit. I have 12 pepper plants. Most are making lots and lots of peppers. Two have had not a single flower all season, much less a pepper. They are all in the same row and have gotten the same treatment. They are all big, healthy plants, fruiting and non-fruiting alike. The fruiting ones are different varieties from the two non-fruiting ones, though. Alma paprika pepper is once again very prolific for me.

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

My green peppers aren't producing at all either! My banana peppers which are in the same bed have made tons of peppers, just the green ones which aren't doing anything. Hmmmmm

• dirt_poet
    16 years ago

Not much happening here, either. About three out of nine have a few flowers - they actually began flowering about a week ago - but they aren't setting fruit. The rest have been full of flower buds (6-12 per plant) for weeks, but they will not flower.

They started out horribly, very yellow and stunted, so then I fertilized them, probably too much. We did have a very cold spell for 4-5 days, with night temps in the 40s, so maybe they messed with their blossom cycle.