Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to acidify soil

Posted by penny1947 z6 WNY (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 8:37

I need to acidify the soil in one planting area. Right now the soil seems to be too sterile for my buckeye tree as it is more sandy loam than anything. Any suggestions on improving the soil for this acidic tree.

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to acidify soil

Miracid will do it. I think pine needles and coffee grounds might be acidic too.

o

First, identify the problem. Buckeyes aren't particularly picky when it comes to pH. In other words, I grow them. What they do seem to need is plenty of water. So instead of trying to acidify the soil, I'd try to add organic matter to make it more water retentive. A fairly thick layer of mulch should do it.

o

Penny-use that worm compost!!!

o

If you can get access to distilled water (know someone who has a dehumidifier?) use that to water with. Distilled water tends to be quite acidic (pH 5 or less) because of the co2 that gets dissolved into it during dehumidification.

Any compost/detritis from under conifers is usually also somewhat acidic.

-Rosalinda

o

Thank you everyone. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was out of town and still playing catch up with my own forum, garden work etc.

I am going to send of a couple of soil samples and I do plan on amending the soil so that it will hold more moisture. Right now I think it is probably draining and drying way too fast because my penstemonds and agastaches do great in that area.

Thanks Kathy, I wondered if I should add some of the worm castings. I will definitely add that as soon as I can get all the weeds out that took over while we were away. I have also saved some mulch to top dress once I get the soil amended.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here