Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Need to acidify soil

penny1947
12 years ago

I need to acidify the soil in one planting area. Right now the soil seems to be too sterile for my buckeye tree as it is more sandy loam than anything. Any suggestions on improving the soil for this acidic tree.

Penny

Comments (5)

• lori_ny
    12 years ago

Miracid will do it. I think pine needles and coffee grounds might be acidic too.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

First, identify the problem. Buckeyes aren't particularly picky when it comes to pH. In other words, I grow them. What they do seem to need is plenty of water. So instead of trying to acidify the soil, I'd try to add organic matter to make it more water retentive. A fairly thick layer of mulch should do it.

• husky004_
    12 years ago

Penny-use that worm compost!!!

• rosalinda_gw
    12 years ago

If you can get access to distilled water (know someone who has a dehumidifier?) use that to water with. Distilled water tends to be quite acidic (pH 5 or less) because of the co2 that gets dissolved into it during dehumidification.

Any compost/detritis from under conifers is usually also somewhat acidic.

-Rosalinda

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was out of town and still playing catch up with my own forum, garden work etc.

I am going to send of a couple of soil samples and I do plan on amending the soil so that it will hold more moisture. Right now I think it is probably draining and drying way too fast because my penstemonds and agastaches do great in that area.

Thanks Kathy, I wondered if I should add some of the worm castings. I will definitely add that as soon as I can get all the weeds out that took over while we were away. I have also saved some mulch to top dress once I get the soil amended.

Penny