Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Buying Seeds in Upstate NY

booberry85
15 years ago

I know its very late to buy seeds in upstate NY. I'm probably better off ordering, but there is just something about walking into a store and having the seed packages in my hand. I did a little running around last night and this morning. Hafners no longer has seeds out, neither does Wamart, Lowes or Farm & Tractor. I did find clearance seeds at Kinney Drugs.

So are there any places in the Syracuse/Auburn area still selling seeds locally (I'll be in the Utica area this weekend and Geneva next week, so they're fair game too)? How do you convince a store manager that you want to plant for a fall harvest and they should still stock seeds?

Comments (10)

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

Heya, boo.
    Good luck with the seed hunt. I'm right between Syracuse and Utica - searched around in Whitesboro, New Hartford, Utica and Oneida and haven't found so much as a leftover tomato seed. Anywhere. It's ridiculous! Not even Agway.

Have fun getting them to understand that people still need seeds in fall. When I went looking in February for onion seed (I have to get them going that early and for WS - I know you understand what I mean, lol) they looked at me like I'd lost my mind, and then proceeded to argue with me that it was way too early to start seed and the displays wouldn't be out for months yet. Seriously, some of them were pretty rude and got quite the attitude when I tried to explain WS to them or starting and tricking daylight sensitive onion.

If you DO find some, please do pass the info on! I think, with the economy being what it is, the days of the 5 cent end-of-the-year clearance seed packets is long gone.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The only place I've been able to find seeds now is Kinney Drug stores (I don't think they have them in Utica. The closest one to you might be Chittenango.) However, the supplies & selection are very limited. It's their leftover summer stash now on clearance. They're Ferry-Morse seeds. I have found Four-o-Clocks, Zinnias, basil, rosemary, cauliflower, common types of tomatoes, Sumter & Pointsett cucumbers, California Wonder Peppers, and Jalapeno peppers.

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update.
    :)
    Actually, there's a Kinney's about a mile or 2 away.
    I'll have to pop in there when I'm downtown and see if they have anything left. I won't expect much, though.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to a Dollar General in Mexico, NY today. They had Zinnia, Aster, Marigold & Calendula seeds on clearance. Not much choice but 8/$1, I picked up some.

• debbie814
    15 years ago

Hi Boo, I know it's too late, but Kinney's in Old Forge still has seeds, at bargain prices.

• rosalinda_gw
    15 years ago

Last time I was in the Country Max in Seneca Falls, (off 414) they still had their seeds out.

Rosalinda

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Bingo!
    Saturday I found seeds at the dollar store near Hannafords in New Hartford (Utica area). They were the ones that usually sell for 10cents. Not much selection lots of marigolds, alyssum, baby's breath, crego aster, zinnias no veggies. Since they were 5cents each, I got $2 worth and a head start on seeds for winter-sowing.

Sewobsessed, I'm just a few miles from Sangertown mall. Give me a shout sometimes and come visit my garden.

kim

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Woo Hoo,
    I found more seeds...even some veggies. I bought a fistful at the Agway in Clinton. By best find was a purple carrot. They also have a very nice selection of bulbs. I am disappointed with Lowes and HD.

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

Hey, Kim,
    Thanks for the heads-up on Agway. I DID grab a pack of the Purple Haze, but nothing else as most were flowers and still only half off 1.29 to 2.79.
    On the other hand, I stopped into the Dollar General next door and all their summer gardening stuff is 90% off! I got one of those 'extension' hose sprayers for 80 cents! I needed one soooo bad. I have to hang all my hanging pots where I can reach to water them because I couldn't afford one of those extensions. Not anymore!
    Oh, and they had a couple coconut liner pots for 40 cents (I grabbed to 2 they had left) and some of those 'styrofoamy' pots for 60 and 70 cents. they had lots of other stuff too, but I'm betting it won't be there long. Might be worth checking them out around New Hartford area?

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Hey sewobssed,
    I will check out Dollar General. I wanted to tell you, DH sent me on an errand to Jay-K the other day. Perenials (4") pots were $1 or 6 for $5. I picked up a dozen - added more ferns and columbine to my shade garden. And a variety for flowers for the sun. BTW do you ever go to the clinton farmers market ?

kim