Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Had to share these Rose Pics

Posted by adina72 z5 CNY (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 9:23

This is the first year I have tried to grow anything other than Rugosa Roses and I am quite pleased so far. These are "Sub-Zero" brand roses.

The first is Helen Hayes - Day 1 of this bloom.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yesterday morning she was oh so stunning.

And last night she had matured into a stunning young woman.

These are called Senior Prom. They are full of buds and blooms.

And spectacular after a heavy dew.

This one is called Lily Pons...I can't wait to see what she will look like when I get home tonight.

Now, if I can get these to live over the winter, I'll be doing great. Thanks for checking out my lovely babies! :)
P.S. I only paid $5 each for them at the new Christmas Tree Shops in Mattydale this past March...you bet I'll be keeping a lookout for more next year. ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Had to share these Rose Pics

Do you have a trick for keeping away japanese beetles and that green worm? (just hoping ;-)

They are just gorgeous! I'm sure they'll be just as wonderful next year too.

o

Thanks GottaGarden -

I use Milky Spore to kill the Japanese Beetle grubs and they never have a chance to turn into beetles. One application can last for many many years....it's basically a disease that is only affected by the Japanese Beetle grubs. You can also apply beneficial nemotodes to the lawn and garden as well. That will kill all grubs, but needs to be applied every year in the late Spring. Both are all natural and safe for use around pets and children. Occasionally a JP might fly in from a neighbor's yard and I just hand pick those and put them in soapy water (or even just a plain old bucket of water)...last year I saw only 1-2 JPs...this year a couple more, but nothing like I had before.

As for the little green worm, I have only seen one this year and it wasn't eating the leaf...maybe because I did use a systemic insecticide rose food.

o

• Posted by Rini Rochester, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 14:15

absolutely beautiful!

And I can't believe you got them from Christmas Tree! I've been to the ones in Massachusetts - *grin* I'll have to travel a bit to Mattydale next year.

Rini

o

Rini - If you get a chance, check out their ads online before you come. I believe their site is www.christmastreeshops.com. I am almost positive they advertised them in the ad. I bought these way back in late March and had to store them until planting time....so you really gotta get there early. I put them in a box with packing peanuts all around them and put paper bags over the canes and kept them in our unheated shed until it got warm enough to plant. I just love CTS...it's a fabulous store and worth the drive...especially at holiday time and after February...hint...they usually have lawn and garden stuff out starting then and it is really cheap because it might be last years stuff. Once the new stuff comes in, it's still pretty cheap, but cheaper is always better....:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here