Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madabouteu

Moving to Utica area

madabouteu
18 years ago

I may be moving in a few months to the Utica - Herkimer area and am wondering about gardening in that area. What zone is it? Are there any especially good nurseries in that area?

It will be quite a change. I now live in New Orleans, and my garden includes bananas, gingers, and bromeliads! But then, New York does not have tropical storms or hurricanes!! Much of the ginger got blown over when Tropical Storm Cindy, with winds just below 75 mph, came through two weeks ago. I also lost most of a loquat tree, several banana trees and an Abutilon pictum.

Comments (9)

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

I am West of the Herkimer/Utica area and I believe it is zone 5. I really enjoy gardening in Zone 5...if you can plant the right plants for your soil conditions, you can be very successful. We can also grow tons of Spring flowering bulbs that don't do too well in the deep south. I am originally from VA, so I can understand the change in gardening zones. You may want to pick up a couple books on the subject of northern gardening...I really like Month-By-Month Gardening in New York and New York Gardener's Guide. I refer to both of them often. I am not familiar with the nurseries in that area, but I am sure someone will come along soon that is. I will include a link to my Yahoo Albums if you want to take a look at all the plants I am growing in Zone 5. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Photos

• booberry85
    18 years ago

There's a good nursery on the old Route 49 (now named River Road) as you head towards Rome. I can't quite remember the name of it (4 Corners? 4 Star? 4 Seasons? Nursery). Cabella's also has nice plants. Again it's on River Road near a main intersection (with Cavannah Rd?). You pass Cabella's on the way to 4 Seasons Nursery. They are maybe a half mile apart from one another. There is also a Lowes and a Home Depot in Utica. I grew up in Utica but haven't lived there in some time.

• rouan
    18 years ago

I live in the Utica area now and have found some nurseries that I like. Benson Farms on Clark Mills Rd in Whitesboro, George's Farm Products on Kirkland Ave in Clinton, Lines Acres on River Rd in Marcy,and Candella's (not Cabella's) also on River Rd (they aren't far apart, one on one side of the traffic light and one on the other side, maybe half a mile closer to Rome). This area ranges from zone 4-5 depending on your particular elevation, proximity to the Adirondacks, lakes etc. I do have plants that are considered to be zone 5 tolerant that have survived our recent very snowy, very cold winters, for which I am grateful! Good luck in your new home.

• User
    18 years ago

Madabouteu, I just checked your page and see you are a reference librarian as I am also. You will have fun researching the plants that you'll be able to grow in your new garden. My sister used to garden in Clinton and grew beautiful lupines, iris, delphiniums, and primroses. The Root Glen in Clinton is a beautiful garden open to the public. I once lived for a few months in Baton Rouge and drooled over the outdoor jasmine (??) and other tropicals. But up north you can grow lilacs and crabapples, daffodils and daylilies...
    Mike Heger of ambergategardens.com in Minnesota has a book out called Growing Perennials in Cold Climates. I have not read it but keep meaning to order it from him. His catalog lists lots of plants that grow up here, and I have successfully ordered plants from him.
    Good luck--keep us posted!
    Kathe in Western NY

• booberry85
    18 years ago

Lines acres and Candella's were the ones I meant! Definately visit those.

• misskimmie
    18 years ago

Welcome to the historic Mohawk Valley. I have gardened in the Utica area for more than 40 years. I recommend Lines Acres in Marcy and Georges in Clinton. Bensons Farms in Clark Mills too.Candella's plants are not always that good looking... but i may go there to get some bedding annuals at an ok price. Each one has a different feel and I visit for specific items.
    How large of a garden will you have? Springtime in my garden brings Tulips, daffodills, violets and lilly of the valley. Then come Irises, Peonies, lilies and daylilies. now I have Plox, coneflowers, and Rubdeckia (Sp?) I'm just listing the main backbone of the perennial beds. Tell me what brings you to upstate NY ? keep in touch,,,I'll be happy to tell you more about the area ( I like to think of myself as an ambassador) recommend places to visit and things to do. and yes ... visit Root Glen in Clinton and Cooperative Extension Garden near Oneida County Airport. ... regards, Kim

• rouan
    18 years ago

MissKimmie,

Yes, the Cooperative Extension Gardens are a nice place to visit. Ditto the Root Glen, I was there last autumn and thoroughly enjoyed it. Do you know if there are other places in the area to visit like either of those? I'm a relatively new transplant here in the Utica/Mohawk valley area myself.

• misskimmie
    18 years ago

Rouan, Welcome. I can't think of any other garden at the moment. How about a greenhouse ? it's in Dolgeville. The create african violet hybrids and are knowen worldwide. I get my inspiration by driving around noticing others peoples gardens, visiting friends gardens and photographing Adirondack wildflowers. BTW I picked up some perennuals at Lowes in Riversisde Mall..I usually shop at the local garden places mented in earlier post but at $3.33 each , the price is good and unlike what I ussually find at box stores, they were in good condition.

Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses Inc

• rouan
    18 years ago

Kim,

Thanks, that looks like a fun place to visit! I'll check it out on my next "free" day off. I have a couple of African Violets already, wouldn't mind adding a couple more.

rouan

(Thanks for the welcome too) :)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville