Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_v

Winter Buttercup Squash var. 'Sunshine'

matt_v
18 years ago

Greetings! This is my first time ever Vegetable Gardening, and I have been reasonably sucessful this year! I was smart enough to relegate my winter squash plants over in my 'pumpkin' bed; along with my melons and jack-o-lanterns. This raised bed is 3' wide and 50' long. My 5 Winter Buttercup Squash var. "Sunshine" are located at the very end.

Anyone ever grown this variety? From the Johnny seed catalogue, they say,

"2004 AAS Winner. Stunning, scarlet fruit.

Beautifully tender flesh is smooth, sweet, and bright orange for baking, mashing, and pies. Highly rated in official All-America Selections trials throughout the United States and Canada. Sunshine is destined to become a recognized, one-variety squash genre in the market."

I germinated mine the second week of May in trays and planted the small squashlings in their bed on Memorial Day. All irrigation has been done with a sprinkler hose, usually left on all night. At one point I put a ring of composted manure around each plant. The growing time is listed as 95 days in the Johnny Seeds cat. HOWEVER, I have 5 right now that look ready to pick, is that possible? Will I be getting more?? I see new blossoms, and the vines are still growing outward. I was hoping to feature this squash on the Thanksgiving day table. Can I possibly keep in in good condition until November???

Comment (1)