Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yeshwant91

Blackberry, Currant and Gooseberry recommendations

yeshwant91
16 years ago

I posted this previously on the Fruit and Orchards and MetroNY, NJ forums, but did not get any replies.

We live in Brooklyn, NYC. Zone 7a. Brownstone backyard.

I am looking for recommendations:

Blackberries: Have a 5'x 2.5' area reclaimed from the patio.

Hence, need erect, thornless, hardy, and highly productive cultivar (possibly only 1 plant). What has the best tasting large sized fruit? I was thinking of Apache. Any other recommendations?

I also have some partial shade areas and was thinking of planting currants or gooseberries, as they seem to be the only ones that will produce well in the shade. I have space for one plant of each only.

What do gooseberries taste like and which ones are the best ones for taste?

I just bought some currants at the Farmer's market around here and made some jam with them. The red currants are definitely a keeper.

Any preferences in cultivars for both currants and gooseberries, with regard to taste and productivity, as well as for disease resistance especially for the gooseberry? Do they adequately self-pollinate? I was thinking Rovada for the currant and Poorman or Invicta for the gooseberry. They also should be somewhat landscape-worthy plants.

Please give me your picks or experiences with the above fruits.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• laurelin
    16 years ago

I grow the black currant 'Prince Consort' in my garden. The bushes are on the north side of the house, and only get a few hours of sun in the summer, and none at all through the winter. They are vigorous, hardy, and fruit well in a tough location. I have five bushes planted together in an arc around a bird feeder, and keep them trimmed to about 4' tall (they'd like to be taller, but don't mind the trimming at all). I purchased them through the Miller's Nurseries catalog (Canandaigua, NY) about 6 years ago.

Laurel

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I grow Triple Crown Thornless Blackberry. It is semi-erect, so it does not need much support. I have one plant. It is incredibly productive! I make tons of jam that I think tastes great. Blackberry jam is so easy to make, just berries and sugar. No pectin is needed.
    Of course unfotunately, I've never tasted Apache.
    As far as the others, I don't grow them. I do grow a Jostaberry which is a cross of the two. I picked it to plant because the spot does get afternoon shade. It makes a nice well behaved shrub. I have it in a flower border. It makes a lot of berries on its own. I've had no disease problems.
    Remy

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! My post has finally yielded fruit! :-)
    Laurelin, thanks for the info about your black currants. I may go with Red currants, although I suppose they have the same or similar cultural requirements. What do you do with the currants?
    Remy: I am glad to hear from someone growing Triple Crown in these areas. Questions for you: When you say little support, do you have a trellis for it? How big does the plant get?
    How do the berries taste fresh? Are they big or medium sized? I also want to eat fresh berries as well as pies, jams, the works! So excited!

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi again,
    I grow it in a corner of my vegetable garden, so it really is a confined space. It grows upwards and is pretty stable because the stems coming out of the ground are very strong. As they rise though the ends are more pliable and they will eventually head back towards the ground. So I just make sure they head out towards the top of the fence. A trellis or a few poles would work just fine too.
    The berries are of course growing now. If I remember, I will take some pics when they get ripe to post for you. I don't consider them small. I think they taste very good fresh. I have put out bowls when people have come to visit and they eat them. I hope they're not just eating them to make me happy!
    Remy

• jolj
    13 years ago

Soooooo yeshwant91, what did you do & how did it turn out for you.
    I have the "JAN" Blackberries from Stark & should get some berries if I can keep the deer off the new growth.
    I have a gooseberry(forget what kind)it fruits for 3 years now.
    My Red Lake currant is hanging on, but no fruit yet.
    You read right I am in zone 7b/8a South Carolina.

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

I am in zone 5a, upstate NY, and have 4 bushes of red current and 2 bushes gooseberries. I eat the berries from the bushes. The gooseberries grow behind a 6 ft cedar fence in a bright shade and produce weell. The red currants grow in full south sun and produce a lot of berries. I bought all of them from Miller's nurseries perhaps 20 years ago.
    For many years I also had a row of yellow raspberries, growing in semi shade and producing well, also from Miller's in Canandaigua, NY.
    Good Luck!

Sponsored
A Table Affaire
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Your Personal Tabletop Curator | Serving Northern Virginia