Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chriscat_gw

Plant identification

chriscat
17 years ago

I was on a motorcycle trip yesterday in the Weston VT area. There was a lovely fragrance in the air. At a road side stop I discovered the plant that had such a beautiful fragrance. I need help in identifying it.

It was a plant that appeared to be rather prolific along the road, suggesting that it would be quite invasive. It grew in stalks about 3 to 4' high. Single stalks. Color of the leaves was a greenish-gray color and it appeared to be rather fleshy. The bloom was a perfectly round bloom made of many buds that looked similar to MOuntain Laurel, but were not cascading. Color of the buds was a very light cream color, not pure white. There were several "blooms" along the single stalk, blooming from bottom to top. The bees were all over it. It had the sweetest fragrance.

I hope my description is helpful. I have not seen it growing in NY. If anyone can help me identify this plant with my rather rough description, I would most appreciate it. Even though it appears to be quite invasive, I really think I need to have this in my garden. It would add a fantastic fragrance to my backyard.

Chris

Comments (13)

• kareen
    17 years ago

Is it Milkweed?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• chriscat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kareen, that would be it. Thank you for posting that picture. On further discussion with my son, who is in landscaping he tells me I really, really, really don't want milkweed in my garden.

Does anyone else have other opinions? The thought of such a lovely fragrance and the possibility of Monarch butterflys just might outweigh his opinon.

Thanks again Kareen

• kareen
    17 years ago

You are welcome.I have several friends that are butterfly enthusiasts who have milkweed and don't have problems, they may have other varieties than the common . K

• adirondackgardener
    17 years ago

In the back of my garden there's been milkweed coming up. I leave some growing along the edge of one of the raised beds and the Monarchs like it. I'm assuming it is just a common variety.

Some of it comes up in the middle of the raised beds but it is so easy to pull that it isn't really an issue and a small price to pay for having the butterflies around.

Wayne

• kareen
    17 years ago

Just curious Wayne, have you seen Monarchs this year ....not a one down here in the capital district .

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Chris,
    There are many types of milkweed. The one you saw, A. syriaca, is called Common Milkweed. I think it can be more of a thug in the garden than other varieties.
    I found this neat site. If you click on the catalog lots of pictures show up.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed Farm

• adirondackgardener
    17 years ago

>Just curious Wayne, have you seen Monarchs this year ....not a one down here in the capital district .

They've been around the garden for at least a couple of weeks, kareen. I didn't note when they arrived. I've had lots of the Tiger Swallowtails this year.

Wayne

• von1
    17 years ago

I have an orange and pink flowering milkweed that I bought as perennials. They don't seem to be invasive. The orange is almost neon and perks up that section of the garden which is all yellow right now. The pink one isn't blooming yet. These are not the wild cultivar.
    Von

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I've only seen one monarch this year, just a couple days ago, here in the Southern Tier. I haven't seen as many butterflies this year as I have in other years. And, I have to wonder how much damage the flood did to species that prefer to live in the valleys. . . .

Laurel

• kareen
    17 years ago

Thanks Wayne, at least you have some up there. K

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

We have lots of monarchs now. THey are so pretty. We have a meadow with lots of milkweed growing wild and they love it.

• hammerl
    17 years ago

We have tons of monarch lately, and when we recently were down at a cottage on Lake Erie in Chautauqua County, they had tons, too. There is milkweed around there, but not so much by my house, which is in Williamsville (outside Buffalo). I've seen lots of other types, too, though I'm not sure what they are.

• mountainsong
    17 years ago

There are a lot of nature-lovers out there who are really campaigning for more people to grow milkweed, for the benefit of monarchs. Whenever we go by new developments, I usually envision how many species have been uprooted and left without habitat--again. I've had some come milkweed come up in one flower bed, and have left them alone. I hope to create more of a butterfly garden eventually, and to have more milkweed. Will try to do research,as a plant invasion in rather smallish yard would be a pain.

Mountainsong