Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canterbury Bellflower help

Posted by dpinker1 z4 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 05 at 14:18

Need some help here. This is my first. It is almost done blooming. How do I take care of it so it comes back next year. Is it suppose to bloom more then once in the summer? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canterbury Bellflower help

• Posted by Aurore Zone 4/5 NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 3, 05 at 15:49

Canterbury bells are a biennial. They bloom the second (sometimes third) year and die. You'll need to reseed. You can collect the seed from the plants. The seed pod is just under the blossom. Allow them to dry. Lots of seed.

o

Thanks for the info. Do I remove the dead flower and then dry them somewhere?

o

• Posted by Aurore Zone 4/5 NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 3, 05 at 21:27

I will remove the dead petals so they won't look so unsightly, but be careful not to remove the seed head. These pods are prickly. I usually leave the plant in the ground as is to mature, turn brown and dry out.
I love them but haven't been able to grow canterbury bells- deer and woodchuck eat them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here