Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_v

Close Encounter with male RTHU

matt_v
18 years ago

Greetings! Earlier this season, I planted a climbing Honeysuckle vine called DROPMORE SCARLET. No secret this is a Hummingbird magnet! To date, I have not seen much activity on it, but then again, my attention is usually on the Veg Garden lately. Today I noticed the Honeysuckle vine has pushed some serious growth. It was time for some training...

With my red shirt tied around my head to catch the quarts of perspiration I seem to generate, I began patiently passing the new growth back and forth through the links of the fence that serves as the support/trellis. At that moment (and perhaps because of my bright red drag?) I heard the familiar whir of wings and twittering call. The male RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD was a few inches away, feeding on the Dropmore Scarlet tubular flowers. I held stock still while he zipped about.

For a few seconds, I could hear only the Bird's wingbeats. Then, I felt something tickling my leg...HIS LITTLE WINGS!! He was feeding just above my knee, each wingbeat made just enough contact with my leg to let me know how close he was. I looked down and smiled. With a twittery-chit, he then took off.

Also today, an excellent Lep day:

Great Spangled Fritillary

BALTIMORE CHECKERSPOT - first of season

Monarch

Tawny Emperor

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

American Lady (3!!)

Silver Spotted Skipper

Eyed Brown? or perhaps a Satyr?

a dark Hairstreak

Finally, I spotted 2 'Parsley Worms' or caterpillars of the Black Swallowtail this morning. They were feeding on some volunteer Parsley growing in the rocks of my driveway below my raised bed herb garden. I quickly plucked the stem they were feeding on, and moved it into a bed where I have several large Dill plants. They soon finished their sprig, and moved onto the Dill! I only intervened because the parsley was a runt; they would never have had enough for food and would have no save place to cocoon. Neat!!

Comments (2)

• cats39
    18 years ago

Hi Matt and All!

Great reading. Reminds of the hummers on a golf cart while on a visit in Denver CO where hummers seem abound. They loved the red driving club covers. I had a buzz in my ear all day long and just about on every hole.

I just got this in the mail this morning and I'm sure many of you have seen, but for those who haven't.

Fledging of Hummingbirds

This is truly amazing. Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE
    at the bottom of each page; there are 5 pages in all. A lady found a hummingbird nest and got pictures all the way from the egg to leaving the nest. Took 24 days from birth to flight. Because you'll probably never in your lifetime see this again, enjoy; and please share.

Go to this site

http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/

• madorley
    18 years ago

YOU are CHARMED!!!!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH