Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlefrog_gw

Rabbits!

littlefrog
17 years ago

Hi! I've been on gardenweb for a while, but this is my first time posting on this forum. I was just wondering if anyone else has had worse rabbit problems than usual this year. They usually nibble at my lillies and my tulips every year, but this year they're eating everything! I have seen six in my yard at one time this summer (they even come onto my patio and climb into pots when I'm standing a few feet away!) when before I never saw them during the day. They got into my vegetable garden through the chicken wire and ate everything once, and then again when I replanted, this time using a spray repellant. Then they ate the marigolds I planted around it to keep them out.

I think the most heartbreaking part was when I when outside to find that the three clematis plants that were covering one whole length of my chainlink fence had been chewed off at the base. I had been away for a few days, and the whole fence was coved in dead vines and flowers.

I'm thinking its because of the mild winter we had, but I'm not sure. has anyone else noticed this?

Jill

Comments (13)

• adirondackgardener
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear of your bunny problems. I'll count my blessings in that I don't recall seeing a single rabbit since I moved here 6 years ago.

Wayne

• adirondackgardener
    17 years ago

Oh, and hi littlefrog! Not used to seeing you over here!

Wayne

• bloomville
    17 years ago

I have noticed a lot more rabbit action as well. They have decimated my newly planted royal ferns and Christmas ferns and hit the carrot bed hard. Suddenly the arrogance of Bugs Bunny's whattsup doc routine really means something to me, and for the first time--pacifist that I am--I'm seeing Elmer Fudd's perspective in a new light!!

I put chicken wire around the newbie ferns and that seems to have helped. And I fenced in the carrots--a private fencing area--and that too seems OK so far...but after 3 years of seeing very few, if any rabbits, I am seeing them every where these days.

• bhrost
    17 years ago

I'm seeing more around this year, I've got my garden pretty well walled off but I've noticed them in other places. Maybe this is the coyotes time to shine.

• littlefrog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

wayne- Thanks for the welcome! I don't know that many people who love gardening in my area. I'm so glad I found this forum.

• Chazy
    17 years ago

I haven't seen a rabbit here in years.I guess I'm lucky. We used to have them,and they were often seen as road kill,but I haven't seen that in years either.I guess the foxes and coyotes did their job well.

Nancy
    Chazy,NY(northern Clinton County)

• gaitedhorse
    17 years ago

When we bought this house there was a fat rabbit chewing all of my plants. After he was done eating, he would lie next to the bed in the sun. Sort of reminded me of people after Thanksgiving dinner. Anyway, what I did was make a hot pepper tea. I used hot pepper flakes (bought at the dollar store most likely), I put a couple of tablespoons of the flakes in a 2 liter pop bottle and filled it with water. I let it steep in the sun and then strained the pepper flakes while pouring it into my watering can. I watered everything with this "tea" and the bunny never came back. If it rains, you have to water with the tea again. It worked for me and was so simple.

• bloomville
    17 years ago

good trick, gaitedhorse--gonna try that!
    but the image of the sleepy, full-bellied bunny is priceless!!

• tom2112
    17 years ago

I haven't noticed any more than usual this year. I did notice, though, that they weren't giving me sufficient respect - they wouldn't even bother to run away when I walked outside. Can't have that, so I bought a slingshot. Now they run.

• husky004_
    17 years ago

We are kinda overrun this year but seems like the damage is minimal aside from them mowing down any vine i tried to grow...but saw a very strange colored bunny the other night a very light brown and found out some idiot in the area must have let go a bunch of domestic rabbits and our animal control officer thinks they may have mated with the wild bunnies so it will be interesting...but i am overrun with voles this year and they have been pretty bold...set some sticky traps out but no luck may try the hot pepper.

• hammerl
    17 years ago

Heh. We were overrun with voles three summers ago, until my dog decided she could catch them and "make them squeak." Squeal in terror is more like it, but problem solved. She has a soft spot for rabbits, however, so we still have those. One tore out of the flower bed (it's rather dense) when I pulled a tall weed that hadn't been visible until the false indigo flopped over the other day, and startled both me and the dog.

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Lost my husky two years ago and she was great keeping the yard in check... kinda overrun right now... miss the damn dog like crazy but not ready for another yet... 3 huskies in 30 years...kinda liking the break of no more hair, no more digging, no more spring clean-up(you dog owner's know what i mean) but will never say never. Put the sticky traps out for the voles on Sunday and nary a one!

• crankyoldman
    17 years ago

Those voles seem to know about traps. Last year they were eating my peppers until I put a trap out for them (btw, the snap traps are much more humane than a glue trap). However, my voles avoided the peppers once the trap was out. Little sons-a-guns KNEW. My outdoor cat was not doing her job at the time. Getting old. But this year a neighbor's cat has decided to make this his local hash house and he drops in, has breakfast, and does a little vole hunting. I guess this has shamed my cat into hunting voles again too. She has no fangs anymore but has nevertheless caught and eaten most of three of them in the past two weeks. She was always an ace hunter. Between her and the mooch, they have really cut the vole population way down.

As to the rabbits, I have not noticed more than last year, just basically the same rabbit (I think) who always patrols my foxglove bed looking to attack the poppies when their guard is down. It favors the rarer varieties that are so hard to raise, ya know. I have found that if you mark your planting areas on a regular basis that rabbits will not eat those plants. Works well if you remember to do it.

OTOH, I do have a very bold groundhog this year. So far it has not touched the garden, but I did catch it going over to check it out the other day. Usually I can live in peace with groundhogs, because they seem to prefer broadleaf weeds.