Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nut? Identification

Posted by winspiff 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 18:46

There is an area by my creek with evergreens and other trees. It is kind of shady. Today I found some small, fuzzy, green 1-2 inch long things down there. Some looked like they had been munched on. I picked them up.

After a pretty discouraging search online, I cut one of them open. I think it looks like a nut. Whatever it is, it had mini worms or grubs or something - yuck!

We believe that someone purchased our property about 80 years ago who was a tree lover. We know we have (non-fruiting) apple trees, huge evergreens, maples, etc. It is possible that the person planted whatever this is.

Well, here's some pictures for you guys. Also, anyone know a good way to get someone to come to your property and identify trees for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nut? Identification

• Posted by kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 20:17

If you bring the nut in to your countyCornell Cooperative Extension office you should be able to get an identification . Also put the worms in a baggie and bring them too. Good luck and let us know what you have. Sounds like a great piece of property. Kareen

o

Can you post a photo of the tree and the leaves? That would help identify the tree.

o

Looks kinda like a Beechenut. You could have a Beech tree.

Are the nuts kinda odd shaped? Like kinda squarish?

If its a beech, it has smooth grey bark, and the leaves are football shaped. Beeches are very tolerent of shady areas.

Can't tell if its european or american. However the eurpoean is used mainly as an ornimental tree, so the previous owner may have planted one.

Look here for info about Beech trees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Beech

http://www.treehelp.com/trees/beech/beech-types-american.asp

o

I'll check and see if there is a beech tree down there. No idea which tree they came from. I'll try to update you soon!
Thanks!

o

I'm looking at beech trees online, and I'm not sure it is one. I will check - but beech nuts look spiky and seem to have a ridge.

The nuts I found are more fuzzy and smooth around the outside.

o

Going back over it, I realized I mixed up my trees. Sorry about that, It was kinda late when I posted it.

That would be a ButterNut tree. Also known as the White Walnut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_tree

A butternut is a close relative of the walnut.

The nuts look like this?

http://www.indianspringherbs.com/Images/Butternuts.jpg

o

That's it! Great! Thank you so much!

o

And, might I add, the nuts are quite tasty.

Harvest them like walnuts, they are really good.

o

It is definitley a Butter nut they make for the best cakes and muffins. You harvest them in the fall when they turn black. They are a job to crack open but the taste is worth the effort.

o

Wear rubber gloves when shucking then if they are green. If not your hands will be stained until the skin wears off

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here