Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantoretire_did

Hot enough???

wantoretire_did
17 years ago

Gotta get this forum moving. I've about had it with this heat. Thank goodness for the rain Saturday night.

My neighbor and I did the Saratoga County Secret Garden Tour last Sunday. It was awesome!! Went home and did lots of contemplating. Its a for sure next year for more ideas.

Carol

Comments (14)

• kareen
    17 years ago

Oh yes, its hot enough, about the only thing I want to do is be in the pool.
    I totally forgot about that garden tour, glad you had a good time.
    I was reading the FAQ about nurseries in the area and feeling sad that so many of the folks originally on here don't seem to be coming on anymore. It used to be so active. Hopefully it will get going again. Kareen

• von1
    17 years ago

I did the Glens Falls garden tour to benefit the Chapman this past Sunday. It was wonderful but HOT!!! Plus I forgot my camera!!!! Saw many beautiful gardens. Wish I had known about the Saratoga tour. I heard it was great.
    Von

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Von - Better late then never :-)

Here's the address for the Saratoga Co. Chamber. It lists community events.

http://www.saratoga.org/events/index.asp

Carol

• faltered
    17 years ago

Yes, it's been hot hot hot. Great beach weather though. My garden is faring ok- the JBs are all over though.

Looking forward to going on the Buffalo Garden Walk on the 30th.

Tracy

• Chazy
    17 years ago

Yes. Hot weather is not my favorite.A nice January day would feel good about now. Today is a trace cooler,but no air is moving,so I will postpone mowing the lawn for the umpteenth time until tomorrow when there is supposed to be a good south breeze.

I have a terrible outbreak of Japanese beetles this year. They have destroyed my roses and moved on to defoliating my mountain ash tree. Ten years ago I never saw the darn things.What do you all do about them? Hand picking doesn't even make a dent.

• booberry85
    17 years ago

The JB's are attacking my beans & grapes. I've sprayed them and crops with a soap shield. It seems to deter them for a day or two. I have also worn gloves and smooshed them. It doesn't make a dent either but is somewhat gratifying.

I watered the garden today. It's the first time since May I've had to do so. It seems like all I do is water the container plants!

Bought a rhubarb plant today! I looked all over in the spring and couldn't find them! I'll plant it this weekend.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

As much as I love to garden, high summer is my LEAST favorite time of the year - at least between 10AM and 6PM. I just melt in the high temps, and the garden becomes a sauna-sweaty, buggy chore instead of a hard-work-sweaty gratification. Ick and a half. I have been going out to pollinate my daylilies in the mornings, and on days that aren't too ugly I've been pulling weeds in the evenings. And scaring the rotten woodchucks whenever I see them. They've decimated my annuals bed, and I won't get any pumpkins this year at all. At least they've left my favorite perennials alone.

I hope we get some rain from the forecasted storms tomorrow night. If not, then I'll be out watering everything Friday. I guess I can squirt the kids at the same time, or venture up to the public pool, if it's not too high on the UV scale.

I like the Northeast for the change of the seasons - but I'm always glad when the hottest part of the summer season passes by.

Laurel

• jannie
    17 years ago

It's July 24. My Mom in Clarence had a tremendous thunderstorm last night. Folks in Niagara County saw a twister. Luckily it's cooled down today. Hope the nice weather continues a few more days. I hate the heat. They say California is terrible, temps in the triple digits, beaches are no relief.

• mountainsong
    17 years ago

Hello All,
    I smile when I read about how y'all dislike heat. That's one reason my family moved "back home" from Georgia last summer. So my motto is, "It could always be worse." Of course, we had central air there, as all but the most poor do. But then what's the fun of staying in all summer??? I am not receiving any commissions or kickback for this--but just have to encourage people to put politics aside (if that's possible these days!) and go see, "An Inconvenient Truth," the documentary by Al Gore. Subjects such as weather/climate trends and insect infestations are of interest to many gardeners, I would think.

Mountainsong in central NY, west of Syracuse

• kcook969
    17 years ago

Oh, GAWD!

Local weather forcast for my town.

AccuWeather.com

Waterloo, NY Forecast Details

Details for Tuesday 8/1
    Tuesday
    Waterloo, NY Weather
    Hot and humid with sunshine mixing with some clouds
    High Temperature:
    99° F
    RealFeel®: 107° F

107? you have got to be kidding!

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

The last 2 days were the worst of the summer. So hot that I did NOTHING in my garden. The heat saps my energy, I didn't even do anything INSIDE.

I really do not understand the attraction of retiring to Florida, so you can have weather like this for 9 months of the year?? I actually lived in Florida for 4 years, and decided that a balmy winter was not worth 9 months of steamy sweaty miserable summer. Most of the year is spent inside captive to the air conditioner.

Given global warming, we may see more people moving from the south to here! They say weather like this is going to be more the norm.

Looking forward to a few cool days they have predicted. . .

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, after 2 days of sitting around inside with the AC and fans, I finally went out today and finished trimming a hedge and mowed the back yard. Only 83, feels like 87.

Thought I'd collapse; the sun is still hot. Oh well, its done and I'm back inside and just turned the AC on. I don't do over 80 inside with the humidity! We are on a slab with mostly tile floors. Looking for that cold front......

Carol

• tracywag
    17 years ago

Uck. It is still hot. When is this going to break? My plants are surviving it ok, except for the hanging baskets and a new hydrangea. I'm not! What's the worst is, our house is 100+ yrs old. When it gets humid out, the doors won't close! The upside is the floors don't squeak.

Tomarrow will be nicer they say.

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Ok guess im the only one that enjoys the heat, yes it can be oppressive at times, but as long as im off work and able to get in the yard im a happy camper...and we had an unusual breeze going through all of this without that i would be complaining.