Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corgichic

pergola

corgichic
17 years ago

Hello. Have some questions and hoping maybe someone can help me out (or point me in the right direction).

I am taking down an old 'attached' shed on the side of my garage. It already has a concrete floor in it and is about 18x7 ft. I am interested in having a pergola put in, one that is attached to the garage. Here is question one...what are the best types of wood to use? I am not interested in the regular pressure treated lumber from the diy stores and heard cedar was a good choice. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I guess I want alot but am not handy at all and will have to have one built for me. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find a good contractor in the Rochester NY area that could help me with this?

Last, any suggestions for covering it? I love the look of wisteria but am hearing how heavy it is and takes so long to get established. I am wondering if a vine would be better, but of course would like one long blooming...who wouldnt? :) Or are there any climbing roses that are hardy, longer blooming (and not that hard for a novice...I have good luck with my perenials & oranmental grasses but have never tried a rose).

Any thoughts and or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

Comments (3)