Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_analyst

New to NY

the_analyst
14 years ago

Hello everyone! I will be moving to Syracuse in about 7 weeks. I've been to the area before and usually visit Ithaca 1-2 times per year, prior to this move.

Can anyone give me some general advice for gardening in the weather conditions in CNY and gardening centers to check out? I am moving from PA, in zone 6b. In PA, I have outdoor gardens and indoor plants (mainly an orchid collection).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sarah

Comments (11)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hi! Welcome to the area! I work in Syracuse. Generally, Syracuse is zone 5. The last frost is sometime between May 15-30 the first frost is sometime between September 30 to October 15th. There's a great gardening center in North Syracuse called Chuck Hafners. They have terrific plants and a good selection of seeds in the spring. They have knowledgeable people on staff that are truly helpful too! Syracuse also has a great Regional Farmer's Market. It's open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Lots of good vendors there. In the spring to early summer they sell lots of plants. Lots of knowledgeable farmers and gardeners there. Those are the two places I can think of right off the top of my head.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chuck Hafners

• the_analyst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I did hear about the farmer's market. I've never been to that one, but have gone to the Ithaca farmer's market.

• starina
    14 years ago

Hi Sarah,
    There are many many interesting garden centers and nurseries here in CNY. It depends on your gardening interests, and the environment available in your future garden. What part of Syracuse are you moving to?
    There is an active orchid society in the Syracuse area as well.
    Welcome to the area!

Here is a link that might be useful: CNY Orchid Society

• the_analyst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link starina! I'm not certain which area yet. I'm still looking at homes, but I am hoping to be close to the university.

Sarah

• starina
    14 years ago

That's a great area. Some beautiful older neighborhoods, mature trees, and a wonderful multicultural mix of people. The university is very accessible from other areas also, if you can't find exctly what you need in the immediate area.
    Good luck in your search!

• rosemary_ny
    14 years ago

Hi Sarah - Welcome to the neighborhood! There are many avid gardeners in the university area. There is also the Thornden Park Rose Garden, which is run by the Syracuse Rose Society and is one of the oldest in the country. It is spectacular.
    The Regional Market is great. When I moved here many years ago, all I could find there were petunias, geraniums and marigolds. Now it is home to many wonderful plant vendors who really keep up with what is current. Also, their prices can't be beat.
    Expect alkaline clay soil and weather that is never the same from year to year. This year wet is the word - so far anyway.
    Since you are familiar with Ithaca, you would want to see the Cornell Plantations if you haven't already.
    If you will be working at or attending the University or just living in the area, check out the WUC (Women of the University Community) garden club. We're a fun group. If I think of anything else, I'll post again. - Rosemary

• the_analyst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rosemary, thanks for the info. I will definitely check out WUC. I will be attending grad school at SU. I have seen Cornell's plantations a few times now. They are fantastic!

Sarah

• theraglady47
    14 years ago

I am an avid gardener and grow a lot of brugmansia, we are having a BGI(brugmansia growers international) plant swap/picnic at Blicon nursery between Mexico and Route 81 at noon august 22. Anyone interested please come. Bring any interesting plants you have to share, a chair and some food to share. It should be a lot of fun. We have one every year in a different location.

We could use some dessets.

• Dottie B.
    14 years ago

Welcome!! Another vote here for Chuck Hafner's and The Regional Market. I frequent both quite often. There is also a great little nursery in Lafayette called Watson's Greenhouse. They have a large selection of alpines and tropicals that are hard to find as well as lots of other plants. They are also open all winter, so I go there to chill out and read a book once in a while when I think I just can't stand another snow day...LOL. They even have classes you can attend.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.watsongreenhouse.com/

• the_analyst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! Adina, I will definitely check out Watson Greenhouse. It looks fantastic! Rosemary, I contacted WUC and the gardening group.

Sarah

• starina
    14 years ago

Another vote for Watson's. Beautiful place, a lifesaver in our winters.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations