Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

tomato harvest party!!!!!!

remy_gw
16 years ago

Hi All,

Mark(Korney19) and I have decided that the WNY tomato party will be Sat. Sept. 8th starting at 1pm.

It will be held on Grand Island rain or shine. Please post here or direct email me for directions to the house. GW email goes straight to my junk folder, and I do not want to miss your email.

Attendees are asked to bring tomatoes to sample. You don't need a lot, in case your garden is small. I don't want anyone backing out because they don't think their tomatoes aren't good enough! Don't worry if they are hybrids or supposedly common. If it tastes good, it tastes good!

Attendees are also asked to bring a dish to eat. If it contains veggies from the garden all the better. But we do need a few deserts. If you do not want to cook, you can bring an alternate item like pop or water. Please let me know what you plan on bringing, so we don't get 10 of the same thing, lol. I will be supplying meat and my husband to cook it! If you want, you can bring beer or wine.

We will definitely have a vote for the tomatoes of best flavor, maybe even do it by type. We could also do ugliest and largest too. All ideas are welcome.

Children are welcome to come. There is a wooden swingset, a hiking trail, and lots of toys. My sis-in-law will be bringing her 4 boys ages 2-9 so there will be other kids to play with.

Mark is still trying to come up with an acronym for the group, because we plan to make this a yearly event. In Cincinnati they have CHOPTAG in Detroit they have DATE. Down in S.C. they have Tomatopalooza, lol. I thought we should decide at the party which name to use. Here's some examples from Mark:

BUFTAG (BUFfalo Tomato Aficionados Group, or BUFfalo (or Buffalo User Friendly) Tomato Associate Growers)

BUFFTAG (BUFfalo Friends & Tomato Associates (or Aficionados) Group)

NFTA (Niagara Frontier Tomato Authorities) (or Aficionados or Associates)(if we get hassled, see next line...)

NFTAG (above plus Group or Growers)

UNYTAG (Upstate NY...)

WNYTAG (Western NY...)

HOPTAG (Heirloom & Open Pollinated Tomato...)

HOPtoWNY (Heirloom & Open Pollinated tomatogrowers of Western NY)(or Hybrid & OP...)

BUFFApalooza

WNYpalooza

BUFTFest (BUFfalo Tomato Fest)

Mine was NFTE for Niagara Frontier Tomato Enthusiasts

If you've got a name bring it : )

I'm really looking forward to this. It is going to be lots of fun.

Remy

Comments (17)

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

I will plan to come. I've got lots of tomatoes this year, and have harvested 3 different kinds already. Golden Nugget was the first, along with an heirloom (buried tag) and early girl. Now if I can just keep them safe from the racoons we'll be all set.

Not sure what to bring. I have this wonderful pasta, tomato and herb dish that I just LOVE. But I like it so much it might not make it to the tomato fest ;-0 (I can just picture myself driving down the freeway with a bowl on my lap and a fork in my hand...)

Names, will have to think about that. THanks for organizing Remy!

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great to hear you are coming! I will send you directions. Lol, about the pasta! I should be getting the day before off so besides the usual picnic hotdogs, I think I'm going to make some "meat on a stick." It is very thin sliced and marinated. Everyone goes crazy for it.
    I had my first tomato yesterday. It was so good!!

I forgot to mention on this announcement(too many places to post!) I've got prizes for best, ugliest, and largest tomato.
    Remy

• lilylouise
    16 years ago

I'm on the fence about attending. We've done a fair share of driving lately and Grand Island is seeming a little far away right now. As the date gets closer and the tomatoes ripen I'll probably feel differently. lil

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lil,
    I sure hope you decide to come! I know you love tomatoes. Plus it is thruway all the way : )
    Remy

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Remy
    I won't be able to make it!!! I was waiting to get the confirmation about a wine tasting and dinner we have to attend and as luck would have it, it is Sept. 8th. Hubby is on the planning committee so we have to be there to help get everything set up that day. Make sure you post how it goes and hopefully I will be able to attend the next one.

BTW, the husk tomatoes have about a million blooms but has not set one fruit yet the other has 4 or 5 green toms so far and oodles of blooms.

Penny

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Penny,
    That is too bad! It is shaping up to be a great party that you are going to miss. I'll miss not being able to see you again also. I'm sure you are going to have fun at your hubby's party though.
    Last year, my husk tomatoes had a ton of fruit late. I was waiting to harvest them and then the October storm ruined them all! I'm happy to hear you have tomatoes coming along. I promise they will taste great!
    Remy

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Hi Remy
    I want a full report on the party. I really hate that I won't be able to come :( I will keep watching for the husk tomatoes. I am really excited to try those since they are so different. The others are shaping up nicely I may even have a few more than originally thought. The plants are both so big that they are growing into one another and I am having a hard time finding the maters but I won't have a problem as soon as the start to turn red.

Penny

• garden_frog
    16 years ago

I'm going to try my best to make it!

I have a wedding that day in Tonawanda...the ceremony is at 1 but the reception isn't until six so I figure I will just come by after the ceremony as long as you guys don't laugh at me in a dress! :)

Not sure that I'll have anything to bring tomato wise. With the move falling when it did, I didn't plant a veggie garden this year. I am missing it big time!! I will definitely bring something for the pot luck though!

Can't wait!

Tara

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Tara,
    That would work out great for you! You know I wouldn't care what you show up in. : )
    Remy

• virgiebaby165
    16 years ago

Hi Remy: Would love to attend; have two types of tomatos to share. Can bring a dessert or two to share also. PLMK and will need directions from Williamsville. Thanks for hosting.

Ginny B.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ginny,
    I will send you an email : )
    Remy

• korney19
    16 years ago

Virgie, did you ever find the Catawissa walking onions? I have plenty here in Buffalo if you still need some. I'm between the Thruway Mall and the Clinton Market/UPS main office. If I remember I'll try to bring some.

Mark

• hammerl
    16 years ago

I'm not able to attend because I have a wedding in south Cheektowaga and reception in Lackawanna that day, but I do want to pass along to Remy that my Italian Pear has started bearing huge, beautiful tomatoes, just picked two, and that I've been eating the Ananas Noir for a few weeks now (likewise huge and pretty in its own way). Those are sure different.

Someone else at the swap (and I can't recall who! Thank you whoever it was)had two other types that I took home (I didn't buy a single tomato this year, they were all swap or others that family grew), one was hillbilly and I can't recall the other offhand and misplaced the tag I made (they came in wax paper cups if that helps)... those have not yet resulted in anything ripe yet, but we'll wait and see.

The rest of my miniature vegetable garden is stuffed with what I believe may be cuore di toro or cuore di bue but produce massive meaty pinkish tomatoes (some exceeding a pound), whose original seed was brought back to the US from Italy in 1978 or so by a long-deceased neighbor, and a skinny tomato that resembles a miniature Hungarian pepper but straight and deep orangey-red, which is supposedly a Lebanese variety.

Just wait until I have too many tomatoes and bring them in to work. The looks I'll get ;-)

Thanks again to those of you who grew them, and I wish I could come.

If one of the monster Cuore di Toro look-alikes ripens in time for the party, perhaps I'll ask Virgie Baby if I can walk it to her house and have her take it there, but as of last night it didn't look good for ripening in time. (and I cannot understand how such huge fruit grows on such a wimpy vine as that variety has...)

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Val,
    I'm glad to hear you have gotten some tomatoes! The Ananas Noire is really unusual isn't it? I thought the taste was very fruity. I really like the Giant Italian Pear taste.
    I think the only other person that brought tomatoes was Lilylouise, but I could be wrong.
    Cuore di Toro type tomatoes amazingly enough grow on wimpy looking plants. People even some times mistakenly think something is wrong with them! Have Virgie bring one, maybe it can win biggest.
    I'm sorry you can't make it. Hopefully next year will work out.
    Remy

• lilylouise
    16 years ago

Val, I'm not surprised the Hillbilly has yet to ripen. It has a 130 days to harvest time. The other may be a'delicious' which is the other variety slow to ripen here in Rochester. Sorry I missed the party, Remy. It sounds like a success.
    Ruthie

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ruthie,
    Maybe you can make it next year : ) I hope you go to the other post and see the photos from the party. I brought a ripe Kentucky Beefsteak originally from you. Many people commented on how pretty it was. The orange of the tomato is so deep!
    Remy

• hammerl
    16 years ago

Well, my tomatoes were in between pickings, so I didn't send any along. Maybe next year. Meanwhile, my mom picked a 20 (yeah, twenty) ounce Cuore di Toro this weekend. Should have swiped it and sent it along for the weigh-in :)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio