Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_v

Chase-Pitkin pickings

matt_v
18 years ago

Greetings! When I ran my own garden listserv, this time of year was eagerly anticipated by folks in the Ithaca/Rochester/Syracuse area. Each year by mid-July, Chase-Pitkin stores begin marking down their nursery stock. If you have never heard of Chase-Pitkin, it is a store much like Home Depot or Lowes.

Unlike Home Depot, Chase has a STELLAR selection of wildlife friendly shrubs and perrenials, MUCH BETTER than Lowes too!! On Saturday, I visited the C-P in Liverpool and the one in Clay, NY. Liverpool had Epic Perrenials at 20% off, Shrubs and trees at 25% off. Clay had the same discount on shrubs, but 50% OFF ON PERRENIALS!!! A good selection still remains, I grabbed RUDBECKIA MAXIMA, HELENIUM, GEUM, DIGITALIS, DORONICUM, AGASTACHE, and PRIMULA, 25 plants in all. Total spent? $35!!

Please tell me if other regional Chase stores have any goodies? I will hit the one in Ithaca on Thursday, perhaps Rochester next week. Any other places giving plants away??? Also, I am interested in purchasing 4 Redwood or Cedar whiskey barrel planters to grow Blueberries in next year. C-P has them for just $21. Anyone finding any less expensive than this??? THANKS!!

Comments (8)

• lblack61
    18 years ago

Thanks for the tip Matt! I will have to check out the CP in Clay.
    I used to go to CP alot when I lived in Rochester. Unfortunately, I don't get to Rochester much these days and can't give you info on prices. Hopefully someone else will :-)

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

Thanks for the tip...I love Chase-Pitkin and prefer their 3-1/2" pots for most of my perennials. I don't mind waiting for them to grow and since they are less than $2 each I can buy more...LOL...I guess I will have to head to CP before I go grocery shopping tonight.

• jeanie
    18 years ago

I went to CP in Webster today on Holt Rd their per. are regular price, when Iasked they said the receive everyone else leftovers so the they are late getting the markdown. So hit the other CP in the Rochester area and leave this one for a while. I'll keep you posted.
    Jeanie

• jlui
    18 years ago

I went to the same Holt Road CP last year looking for bargains. They had a big sign that said there was a 50% off sale. And then the small print, everything was 50% off except:

perennials, annuals, and shrubs

Even the workers seemed disgusted and a little tired of people asking them what the point of the sale was. Only the roses and the trees were marked down. . . Weird!

Jen

• lblack61
    18 years ago

I did pick up a pretty good sized container of perennial blue salvia at Loews a few weeks back for only three bucks. It was in semi-sad shape. I trimmed it and put it in a bigger container and now I just put it in the ground. The first day I had it out in a container, a hummingbird came to visit it!

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

I went to the CP in Clay last night and the choice was pretty slim on the perennials. I did get two things that I did not already have. A primrose that has tubular orangish-yellow flowers and a really neat looking plant called Ligularia dentata Othello..total cost $4.72 including tax...not too shabby, I guess.

• jeanie
    18 years ago

Still no markdown on perennials at Holt Rd. Don't bother with the Pittsford store very little stock and not much of markdown maybe 20%.

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

Checked out CP on Mt. Read yesterday. Trees and shrubs were 25% off. The perennials had not been marked down yet.
    Herremas grocery on Pattonwood have quart size Rozanne for $5.