Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saraalane

Spotted Bellflower- campanula punctata

saraalane
10 years ago

Hi! Just joined! I have Spotted Bellflower- campanula punctata 'Cherry Bells' which is invasive, though it's pretty. It is spreading into areas I don't want so I would like to dig it up and put it in a pot in the ground so it will stay in one place. Does anyone know how deep the roots go? Has anyone potted it up with success? If I pot it into a 12" deep pot will the roots grow down and out of the bottom drainage holes, making this pointless? Should I find a pot that is 15-18-20" deep?

Thanks for all of your help!

Comments (2)

• party_music50
    10 years ago

Hello! and wow. I planted 'Cherry Bells' several years ago from seed... it bloomed and was beautiful!!! and then I realized how invasive it was, so I began trying to rip it out. At least 6 years has passed since then and I'm still trying to get it out of my lawn! :p With all the rain we've had since mid-May, I haven't been able to mow and weed regularly, so I have a cut bouquet of Cherry Bells now to ensure it doesn't go to seed. :p

The roots on mine don't seem to go deep -- but it is in sandy soil. If you're planning to pot it, you might as well dig it up and see what the root system is like for you. Campanulas are more like creepers for me and also spread through self-seeding. I'd guess that your biggest problem will be with roots that creep over the pot edge, or with it self-sowing if you don't keep it deadheaded.

I also grow Campanula persicifolia (bellflower) but the leaves/plant are so different... if it goes where I don't want it, I just pull it out and it's gone.

This post was edited by party_music50 on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 6:36

• saraalane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your help!

I have other bell flowers too and they stay put. They are good "clumpers!"

I have clay soil but it has good organic matter in the bed where it is. The roots "seem" to stay in the top couple inches and they are like rubber bands, snapping very easily. I'll just have to get out there and dig every little bit up. It's starting to get ratty looking anyways so I'll just cut all the tops off. It hasn't spread into the lawn (yet) but I try to keep a nice edge so maybe that is helping. I like plants that take care of themselves but I guess I am going to have to be after it even in a pot. It's next to the patio so I won't be forgetting it... Though maybe I should just save myself some time and sanity and just dig it all up and burn it? Plant something "nice" in it's place? Other people have said also that it is nearly impossible to get rid of...

Thanks again for everything!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists