Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bareroot planting time

Posted by littlefrog z6 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 23:59

I'm getting a few bareroot belladonna delphiniums replaced, and I get a choice of shipping date- which is better for bareroot planting- fall or spring? Does it matter?

Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bareroot planting time

I've only ever heard of bareroot shrubs and trees, not perennials. Trees usually do better planted in the fall because of the high water requirements.

I have better luck with planting perennials in the spring. I find the fall clearance plants often don't get properly established before winter and die. Sometimes frost heaves them out if they are small.

For delphiniums I'd recommend spring.

o

I got a few bareroot perennials a couple years ago from Wayside I think. I planted mine in the spring and they took off that same year. I think either way they should be fine, but my tendency would be to sway towards spring to let them get established more.

Tracy

o

gottagarden- I've seen quite a lot of bareroot perennials this year. this is my first time buying them though. I have noticed that they are cheaper than buying potted plants because they're easier to ship. And i have heard that they often have more developed root systems so they establish more quickly. And since they are dormant when you plant, there is usually less or no transplant shock.

I ask about this because I want to order some bare root peonies this fall, and they ship, and say to plant in the fall. But, just to be safe, I think I will order the delphiniums for next spring.

thanks!
Jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here